Brandon, NSFW - Lit using a single tungsten table lamp.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since nothing is really showing except side-butt, I'm hoping I can get away with sharing this photo in this gallery. This is my friend Brandon. We met through some really interesting circumstances, but that's unimportant at this point.

About the photo, I lit it using the table lamp next to my bed, which is a bare tungsten bulb meant for household lighting. If I were to critique my own shot, I wish there was more light in his eyes. There was practically no light in his eyes to begin with, so even with dodging very little detail could be brought out.

EOS 5D MKII, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L set to 33mm at f/4, 1/60th sec, ISO 1600.
untitled_by_danostergren-dbpjp0a.jpg

Last edited:
The light here helps with the warm skin tones, though I imagine they had to be tweaked. I think the pose is lovely and graceful.

Agree about the eyes, and also that with the limited direction of the light there's not much you could do to help with that.

Nice one!

"Paint me like one of your french girls!" comes to mind. Very nice. You're a lucky guy.

The light here helps with the warm skin tones, though I imagine they had to be tweaked. I think the pose is lovely and graceful.

Agree about the eyes, and also that with the limited direction of the light there's not much you could do to help with that.

Nice one!
Thank you. The color was tweaked just a little, but not much. I always shoot with my WB set to shade, including this shot, which helps create very rich tones, but they had to be cooled off a little. He's also fairly tan to begin with.

A table lamp? You lit this with a bloody table lamp!?!?!?!:BangHead: And it turns out like this! Wonderful. :clap:
It has a great "Old Masters" feel to me, great work!
The eyes are a bummer, but it doesn't kill that photo at all. This is a real stretch. But, could you use a shot of his eyes better lit, and add them in in PS? I ask because I have done this in wildlife shots once in awhile, and it worked well for me in those cases.

A table lamp? You lit this with a bloody table lamp!?!?!?!:BangHead: And it turns out like this! Wonderful. :clap:
It has a great "Old Masters" feel to me, great work!
The eyes are a bummer, but it doesn't kill that photo at all. This is a real stretch. But, could you use a shot of his eyes better lit, and add them in in PS? I ask because I have done this in wildlife shots once in awhile, and it worked well for me in those cases.

Haha, just goes to prove that gear means practically nothing, and how one uses lighting is EVERYTHING.

Honestly I was being lazy with the editing and could likely bring more detail out. I'm going to revisit the editing tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Honestly I was being lazy with the editing and could likely bring more detail out. I'm going to revisit the editing tomorrow.

Make sure you post the redo. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back