What's new

Breaking in my digital...unedited...c&c

there's no such thing as a raw image (per se)...since raw (data) cannot be seen without some form of conversion. I assume you use LR? Importing your raws into LR? Exporting as jpg? some editing has occurred right there. Do the same thing with other programs like Nikon's raw image programs and see the difference between the 2 exported images with no changes applied!
 
there's no such thing as a raw image (per se)...since raw (data) cannot be seen without some form of conversion. I assume you use LR? Importing your raws into LR? Exporting as jpg? some editing has occurred right there. Do the same thing with other programs like Nikon's raw image programs and see the difference between the 2 exported images with no changes applied!

I haven't used my Lightroom program yet. It is just taking up space on my computer :)
I just imported the images into iPhoto and then uploaded the to (whatever site...FB, Flickr etc) site for the purpose of being able to post to get feedback.
I see what you are saying and I understand your perspective.
 
you are nice but I was hoping for an argument :D Just kidding, no you are nice, about the argument part! Learn your software, it is as important as the camera.
 
you are nice but I was hoping for an argument :D Just kidding, no you are nice, about the argument part! Learn your software, it is as important as the camera.

Thank you.
I would like to think that I am nice.
In fact, I am extremely nice...until I am not. ;)
I am an expert at arguing but until I have a better base of knowledge I can't really back up my opinion, and I like to win. ;)
In all seriousness though, I do see what you are saying. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I am on this forum to get different perspectives on photography and what works and what does not work in my images.
I get a lot of nice job, that's pretty, that's different etc.
I don't find those comments particularly helpful when it comes to growing.
I (like most average people) have been taking pictures for a while but not with any thought to what message I want my images to convey.
I think when you shift your perspective from snapping a picture to composing an image with a specific intent, it becomes another ballgame.
We all have our opinions, perspectives and tastes. I find it is helpful to me to pull from a variety, which help me to form my own.

My B&W photos are stronger than my digital/color photos. I want to scan a few and post them (after my exams of course). In fact, someone actually purchased one of my darkroom prints this past weekend. I suppose that the universe has seen stranger things, lol.

I have no shame in saying that I am learning and make mistakes (whether it be technical, semantically etc).
Unless someone is willing to teach you and you are willing to accept their knowledge / experience, you don't grow.
Of course people may disagree on a subject, but it is important to understand different perspectives to be able to fully justify your own.

Plus, I don't think fighting on the internet is a classy kind of move, lol.
 
I too wasn't crazy about editing my digital images - until I learned the process and history. I thought editing an image was something that was newly available due to the digital revolution and heresy to the traditions of photography. Turns out I was wrong - the digital age has simply made post processing readily available to more of us. Even in film, images were always processed after shooting. Most of us just didn't see it happening and so weren't aware of it. Apparently even Ansel Adams was a master in the darkroom (i.e. post processing).

PP is not a crutch for the weak, but an essential element of producing a quality image. A quality capture only makes most post easier but none-the-less essential. Learn to do it yourself or your camera will do it automatically for you (jpeg conversion).
 
#3 is a really nice one. well seen

as others have already said blah blah blah, you should be post processing your images. I felt the same way about it when i got into digital photography. But after not long i realized that its essential to the process. Even if you get everything perfect in the camera it wont reach its full potential without post processing.
 
Pretty good eye there, sharon. #3, the brickwork photo...NICE!!!!!! Each one of your four shots are "telephoto shots", meaning they encompass a narrow angle of view, and are for the most part, focusing our attention on one main plane, one main distance; the exception would be the 534 shot of the address numbers and the distant building which is a near/far juxtaposition, but which actually only SHOWS, clearly, the foreground depth plane. All of your shots are basically, single-plane, narrow angle shots. I like those kind of shots.

Some people see in wide-angle. Others see best in telephoto. Some people like to do walkabout photography using a wide lens. Others a normal lens. Others a telephoto. Many people rely upon a zoom lens. I'm not sure what you used, but these are what most people call "telephoto-type" pictures. You seem to do them well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom