Bridal/ Looking for CC

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read a post directed at me a few days ago, and I knew of and respected the poster who wrote it. The poster has been on here for even longer than I have, and has seen my work over the years.

Basically, the post said that I was not spending the amount of time I used to on photos, and seem to be rushing through them. Thus my work has suffered.

I thought about that for a really long time, because I think there is a lot of truth in that.

So with this in mind, I'm trying to get to where I was. But this is where I need help, because there have been so many years that have passed, and I'm not sure when I started going downhill. My clients need the best level of work I can bring them.

Therefore, I would really love every bit of feedback you can give me. I swear, I will not bite anyone's head off. :meh:

Some background on the bride and her requirements: Due to stress of planning a wedding, she has gained weight and is especially not fond of her neck, arms and belly area. She wanted these fixed. She is also a bit more mature in age, and wanted to full out fantasy look. There is some very heavy retouching in the following photos.

I have only just begun to process these images, and am still in the early stages of doing so. But before I went any further, I wanted to check in with you all. I sometimes don't love it, but I get valuable advice here. You many not think I'm listening, but in truth, I am.

bri_jennq_00002.jpg

bri_jennq_00003.jpg

bri_jennq_00008.jpg

bri_jennq_00009.jpg

bri_jennq_00011.jpg

deleted by op

Last edited:
... I am getting so frustrated ... how in the world do you get that porcelain doll look on your skin tones without screwing up the rest of the image .... :x

her smile looks so pained ... taken before the ceremony I am going to guess, she looks SUPER NERVOUS ...

... I am getting so frustrated ... how in the world do you get that porcelain doll look on your skin tones without screwing up the rest of the image .... :x

her smile looks so pained ... taken before the ceremony I am going to guess, she looks SUPER NERVOUS ...

She was really insecure. That happens. She's a really sweet lady though.

The way I achieve the porcelain look is to use a product called Portraiture. It is time intensive, and can be a pain in the butt. Basically, on each photo, I select all of her skin. I then have to deselect all of things I want sharp, like jewlrey, eyes, nostrils, eyebrows, teeth and lips.

Portaiture is a very cool program, and you can run it at many different levels, from just a "light dusting" to a full out plastic look.

if i can find you the write up that i learned from ill pm it to you, once you get it, its extremely fun

bennielou,
the only one im not a fan of is 1
other than that, i think the pictures look great. as was said earlier, her expression looks painted on which is unfortunate.

agreed, haha.

Anyway... I, for one, happen to like your touch up work... maybe I'll get shot for saying that, but I do, haha. That being said, there are a couple of things that I feel do kind of take away from a few of the photographs (and as always... my disclaimer: I am a SUPER NOOB, so feel free to ignore me, as I really have no business C&Cing someone such as yourself...)

#2- Is a cool idea, but I think the middle branch going straight through the frame takes away from it. I realize you probably didn't have the capability of hacking that off with an axe while you were on site and that it would probably be difficult to clone out, but that branch is the only thing keeping me from really liking that shot.

#3- I would like that one better if the veil wasn't covering so much of her face. It doesn't seem like it actually *is*, but it's close enough to make it feel like it's cutting off her eye... if it would have been pulled back at least an inch, I feel that shot would be better. Although, ironically enough it doesn't bother me in #4... Haven't really put my finger on why though. Maybe it's the angle from which the shot was taken of her face??? :scratch:

#5 is really nice :) I like that one probably the best :mrgreen:

You have every right to CC me, because at the end of the day, you are my "client" with the added bonus of having some idea about how photography works. I really appreciate your very specific CC. And I will also say that I agree.

#2 was for variation more than anything else. I was framing using the branches. I agree that I wasn't all that happy with it, but there are also "clean shots" without the branching. But the reason I put it up here was to see how people felt about it.

You are right about#3 and #4. The veil makes all the difference, and I should have pulled it back on #3.

It's strange that you like #5 as that is one of my favorites as well. I did a totally no no though, and totally cut off her right eyeball with the veil. I would be killed in a competion for that, but I still thought there was something sweet about it and that is why I shared it.

Thank you for the cc. Keep it coming!

if i can find you the write up that i learned from ill pm it to you, once you get it, its extremely fun

bennielou,
other than that, i think the pictures look great. as was said earlier, her expression looks painted on which is unfortunate.

Dom, besides the expression, is there anything other about the photo you don't like?

bennielou,

Dom, besides the expression, is there anything other about the photo you don't like?
well as far as the first one goes
(and im also using erose's disclaimer on C&C :greenpbl:)
the subject just seems to bright compared to the background, it almost looks fake

thats just me though

bennielou,

well as far as the first one goes
(and im also using erose's disclaimer on C&C :greenpbl:)
the subject just seems to bright compared to the background, it almost looks fake

thats just me though

Good lighting CC. Thank you!

The only one I don't like is number 5 for the very reason you've stated, ie, you cut off her eye with the veil.

I get frustrated looking at these pictures only because for whatever reason, I can't seems to get the eyes tack sharp like yours here. Perhaps I will post up a pic and ask for advice.

She does look very nervous and that might be part of the reason her arms are bothering me, but in all the photos she is holding her arms the same way (minus the close ups obviously). They are just kind of forced straight down at her sides. I love all of the photos especially the close up ones, her skin looks so great!! I love the way you processed them (I am also using the noob disclaimer mentioned previously lol)

You did not answer the question about whether those were shot before the ceremony...

I find this important because in my experience the B&G are way too nervous/stressed to photograph before the ceremony. I found that once the ceremony is over they finally start breathing normally again and it makes for more relaxed, natural looking photos as far as expression is concerned.

With me, it became part of the contract in the sense that I refused to do any formal portraits before. Either they made the time for those shots after or I didn't take the job.

Aside from that, I don't have a problem with the lighting but the skin looks a bit too PPed for my taste. She doesn't look plastic and this is just a matter of personal taste. The position of her arms does bother me however. Maybe it wouldn't as much if there was some variety. In some of them, you could have had her holding the bouquet up front with both hands...

Cheers.

The only one I don't like is number 5 for the very reason you've stated, ie, you cut off her eye with the veil.

I get frustrated looking at these pictures only because for whatever reason, I can't seems to get the eyes tack sharp like yours here. Perhaps I will post up a pic and ask for advice.

Thank you Ghpham.

I'm doing the eyes on it's own layer using unsharp mask. I hope that helps. Feel free to upload a photo, and I will show you the settings I am using.
Thanks again.

She does look very nervous and that might be part of the reason her arms are bothering me, but in all the photos she is holding her arms the same way (minus the close ups obviously). They are just kind of forced straight down at her sides. I love all of the photos especially the close up ones, her skin looks so great!! I love the way you processed them (I am also using the noob disclaimer mentioned previously lol)

Thank you. Yes, she was very nervous. :)

You did not answer the question about whether those were shot before the ceremony...

I find this important because in my experience the B&G are way too nervous/stressed to photograph before the ceremony. I found that once the ceremony is over they finally start breathing normally again and it makes for more relaxed, natural looking photos as far as expression is concerned.

With me, it became part of the contract in the sense that I refused to do any formal portraits before. Either they made the time for those shots after or I didn't take the job.

Aside from that, I don't have a problem with the lighting but the skin looks a bit too PPed for my taste. She doesn't look plastic and this is just a matter of personal taste. The position of her arms does bother me however. Maybe it wouldn't as much if there was some variety. In some of them, you could have had her holding the bouquet up front with both hands...

Cheers.

Hi Cloud, sorry for leaving out my answers. These photos were taken then evening before her wedding. I'll be sharing her photos after the wedding soon.
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back