Bridal Portrait- C&C Requested

C&C per req:

Regardless of your feelings, what were those of the client? It's not a bad shot, but I can't help thiking it could be much better. There are a couple things that come immediately to mind: Your background is busy and distracting, and despite being softly focused, still has enough highlights to compete with the subject for the eye's attention.

I think another 1 - 1 1/2 stops of fill light would have helped as well. You've kept the detail in the dress, but the blown veil is a bit harsh.

Lastly, I think the pose could be be improved slightly. I would suggest turning her body a little more toward the camera to make her upper arms look smaller. I would also suggest cropping the bottom of the image just below her left elbow. The way she's posed and the way the gown is sitting makes her look rather ample in the posterior; not something that any woman wants in an image regardless of how ample she may or may not be.

All of that aside, it's definitely ot a bad image. You've nailed the focus, and made good use of DoF to help isolate her from the background, and she has a nice, genuninely happy expresion. Was there a boquet? Including that often gives a nice splash of colour against the white of a wedding dress.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

Regardless of your feelings, what were those of the client? It's not a bad shot, but I can't help thiking it could be much better. There are a couple things that come immediately to mind: Your background is busy and distracting, and despite being softly focused, still has enough highlights to compete with the subject for the eye's attention.

I think another 1 - 1 1/2 stops of fill light would have helped as well. You've kept the detail in the dress, but the blown veil is a bit harsh.

Lastly, I think the pose could be be improved slightly. I would suggest turning her body a little more toward the camera to make her upper arms look smaller. I would also suggest cropping the bottom of the image just below her left elbow. The way she's posed and the way the gown is sitting makes her look rather ample in the posterior; not something that any woman wants in an image regardless of how ample she may or may not be.

All of that aside, it's definitely ot a bad image. You've nailed the focus, and made good use of DoF to help isolate her from the background, and she has a nice, genuninely happy expresion. Was there a boquet? Including that often gives a nice splash of colour against the white of a wedding dress.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Very helpful advice. Thanks so much! :) I got this image printed per the clients request and did end up cropping off some of the bottom to avoid that as well. I agree the veil is blow out; I will work on that on the next shoot I have. Thanks again!

Tirediron pretty much nailed my thoughts.

The tree shouldn't be there.

Most importantly, "fill flash"... It would have made a world of difference.

Big pet peeve of mine is when the gown's WB is off, or is off-white (unintentionally).

Was there a boquet?

I bet there was. And I, too, am wondering where it is.

Now I know nearly everyone else has told you you need some fill lighting here, but, but I find you have plenty of fill. What's missing is the main.

John (tirediron) made a good suggestion about turning her just a bit more toward the camera, and there are some more issues with the posing. Did you have some wind that day? The veil is all on one side.

I think the single, most-important thing you could have done to improve this shot would have been to use a longer focal length. It would have helped with both your background and shape.

In the end, the lighting killed this one. This is no way to light a person for a portrait.

Pretty girl! And I think your white balance is fine... the shadows (fill light) are likely to go cool when shooting outdoors.

-Pete

...Now I know nearly everyone else has told you you need some fill lighting here, but, but I find you have plenty of fill. What's missing is the main...
Excellent point Pete; thank-you for mentioning that. :thumbup: I (and I think a lot of people) have the bad habit of using the term 'fill' to mean more light; not fill as in 'supplementary'.

Most reactions

Back