Bright sunny day shooting

SW Studio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the best camera settings for a bright sunny day. ISO 100 shutter speed? ....

Depends on what you're shooting, what lens you're using.
Do you need to stop the action? Is the subject stationary. Do you want a large DOF?
Birds in flight 1/2000. Portraits could be 1/60.

Depends on what you're shooting, what lens you're using.
Do you need to stop the action? Is the subject stationary. Do you want a large DOF?
Birds in flight 1/2000. Portraits could be 1/60.
50 mm 1.8 85 mm 1.8 large dof mainly portraits.

your question really makes no sense. You use the settings to give you the best exposure the same as any other light condition.

What you really want to ask is how to get a decent shot in very harsh overhead light.

1) avoid it
2) use a reflector
3) shoot in the shadows
4) use a strobe, flash
5) scrims
6) any other combination.

I shoot in terrible light way too often. Practice.

your question really makes no sense. You use the settings to give you the best exposure the same as any other light condition.

What you really want to ask is how to get a decent shot in very harsh overhead light.

1) avoid it
2) use a reflector
3) shoot in the shadows
4) use a strobe, flash
5) scrims
6) any other combination.

I shoot in terrible light way too often. Practice.
Thank you, i know its not the easiest, but to shoot at wide open at 1.8 would you still recommend ISO at 100? or if i go to f11 shutter speed 1/500...

There isn't one. You'll have to make that call based on various requirements like strength of the light, angle of the light, direction of your subject(s) in relation to the light, etc. You're shooting digital, why not try it out? I shoot f1.6 in mid day light but settings are never the same because lighting conditions are never the same.

Thank you, i know its not the easiest, but to shoot at wide open at 1.8 would you still recommend ISO at 100? or if i go to f11 shutter speed 1/500...

It makes absolutely no difference if you have the necessary shutter speed to make a good exposure.

There's no point in asking about "settings" until you understand exposure, and how the three main elements (ISO, SS, Aperture) are inter-related and what effect(s) each can have on the exposure. Get a copy of the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and read it. Then, re-read it. Once you've done that, I expect that a WHOLE bunch of things will fall into place for you.

50 mm 1.8 85 mm 1.8 large dof mainly portraits.
Probably choose the wider of the two lenses, keep the aperture smallish (say f/8 or f11), and maintain adequate distance from camera to subject.

You didn't ask about light, but shooting in brilliant sunshine comes with its own set of issues.

You can always add a ND or CPL FILTER to put you at the shutter/ aperture that you want to be at. I keep a range of ND and a CPL available when I go shooting. Sports or portraits outdoors.

The good thing is that all the settings that give a correct exposure can be the "best". Your going to have to decide which combination of the settings is "better" for your needs.

I think you meant a small DOF as you are asking about shooting at f/1.8 and ISO 100. For portraits I would be using the 85mm.

I think you meant a small DOF as you are asking about shooting at f/1.8 and ISO 100. For portraits I would be using the 85mm.
He said "large dof" and whether the ISO is at 100 or not, he will most likely be stopped down, keeping the DOF "large". By using the longer (85mm) lens, the DOF will be thinner, not "larger".

I agree that my choice for portraiture would be the 85mm, but that is not the question that was asked.

And remember, Dave442, this post is in the "Aspiring Professionals" forum, so I assume he already knows something.

Last edited:
Thank you Designer. I know the OP first asked about a large DOF, but then later said...

but to shoot at wide open at 1.8 would you still recommend ISO at 100?

So from assuming he knows f/1.8 is a narrow DOF (and that he mentioned portrait photography) I was looking for clarification of the amount of DOF actually desired.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back