Broke my collar bone - now what?

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Friday night I broke my collar bone and spent 3.5 hours in emerge. I got out at 12am Saturday and desperately searched for a replacement for that days wedding.

I was able to find a husband and wife team to travel 2 hours to come shoot. I didn't tell the bride the change of plans as I didn't want to stress her out. I showed up for hair at 9 am with the replacements and broke the news. She was in shock, but was very appreciative that I dealt with it, got the replacements lined up, and found someone I trusted to get the job done.

Now, I have 3 major shoots to deal with. 1) A 5 day concert series starting Wednesday. Volunteer position, I retain full rights, and can print and sell onsite. I have a few people willing to help out. I think I can manage. 2) local wedding on the 23rd. 3) wedding 6 hours away

For the weddings, there is an outside chance I will be able to shoot, but seeing as I haven't slept in 3 days due to pain, I don't want to chance it. For these weddings, do I find a replacement right away? Tell the couple and let them look? Work a deal with a photog myself where I can still edit the images?

I just want minimal stress on the clients, maximum cash still in my pocket (I charge a bit more than most in my area) and for me to still retain my client relationship.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

My contract states that in an emergency I will find a suitable replacement.

Thanks.
K

There was a very good and well respected photographer in my area (I took a class from him) and he became disabled by a disease/condition before it eventually killed him. Before he actually retired, he was unable to shoot, but he still showed up to the weddings and directed his team.

You may not have a team, but if you could hire someone to do the physical work, you could still be there and be in charge of the photography. Of course, you would need someone that you can trust to get the job done, so hopefully you can do that.

That would still leave you as 'The Photographer' and you could do everything else (post work etc.) that you normally do. It would probably cost you less than sub-contracting the wedding to someone else. The hard part may be finding someone good enough, who isn't already booked for Saturdays in July.

For the 23rd one I would return all the money and ask her if she can find someone else. Tell them you will be happy to help find someone. This is why I always stress out the importance of 2nd shooter to my clients especially if you break your collar only a day before the wedding. I also only want to book 2nd shooter who can take over the duty of main shooter if **** happens.

i use 2nds, but not ones that i would feel could take over completely. I tried staying for the wedding on Saturday, but I was just too sore. Maybe for the 23rd Id be able to.

...My contract states that in an emergency I will find a suitable replacement.

Step 1: Contact your clients, let them know you're injured and that you are in the process of locating a replacement;

Step 2: Wear out your dialing finger finding said repleacement(s); and

Step 3: Change your contract so that it states something more like, "...will make every effort to locate a suitable replacement." This will reduce the likelihood your being held liable if, in the future something happens which prevents your attendance.

I think it's best to let the clients know right away that there is a potential problem and that you are working on a solution. Dropping it on them the day of is, IMO, not the best business practice. I understand your thinking, but I don't agree with it.

yup, that i why I really explain it that my 2nd shooter is someone who can easily take over the job and do weddings solo quite a bit. Actually I have one in september where I am hiring a very experienced and talented photographer to be my 2nd. I had to stretch my 2nd shooter budget a bit but it is worth it.

Tirediron,

I don't plan on springing it on any of the others but there was no wayyyyyy I was going to call the first bride at 1am the day of the wedding and drop the news. ;)

I have now found 2 fantastic couples that can take both weddings. I will let my clients know so they can decide or leave it to me to pick the best fit. It's a huge relief. It also speaks volumes to the photography community in my area. I have now rebooked 5 shoots and resheduled the rest.

I have also found someone to edit for me as well in exchange for me second shooting for them this fall.

Gsgary if it was my left hand I would. Right is a whole different story!

I have now found 2 fantastic couples that can take both weddings. I will let my clients know so they can decide or leave it to me to pick the best fit. It's a huge relief. It also speaks volumes to the photography community in my area. I have now rebooked 5 shoots and resheduled the rest.
I was going to mention that in this type of situation, it really pays to be part of the local photographer's scene/network....and to be on good terms with them. For example, if you are a member of a professional photographer's association, you have access to a whole group of photographers, who are probably held to some sort of standard. So you many not need to know them personally, but you could assume that they know what they are doing.

And of course, it's even better if you have a group of photographers who you know and can trust in a situation like this.

I want to wish you a speedy recovery with full healing!!! Get better soon!!!

OH yeah.. forgot to wish you speedy recovery hahaha

Thanks all.

Yes BigMike - our close photography community is amazing. I actually went over to Gary Fongs house on Thursday for a get together with all our locals. Me and Gary hung out in the pool while everyone arrived (I had never met him before) and we played dizzy bat! There was a good 60 photogs there. Potluck BBQ, wine, new friends. The 2 people covering these wedding I have never met personally - but thanks to Facebook, we feel like we know each other through many conversations we have had. We respect each others work and I am very greatful to have those relationships!

Most reactions

Back