Broken Auto Focus

moolie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine let me borrow his Sigma 70-300 mm lens. He said the auto focus was broken on it but that I could use it in manual like he does. He took some nice shots of the moon and I would like to do likewise. He said he was in manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/300. Do you have any settings that you could recommend for me so that I too can take some nice shots? Thanks!

Do you know how to use the light meter, and spot meter the moon to get your setting?

Do you know how to use the light meter, and spot meter the moon to get your setting?
I'm sorry to say that I don't. Is that what I need to do?

Yep.

And once you get the setting shoot one picture at exactly that setting, then another 1 stop below (underexpose), and one 1 stop over that setting (overexpose). That will give you the best chance of getting a well exposed shot.

I'm sorry to say that I don't. Is that what I need to do?

It would probably be best.

Auto might work just fine, if you spot meter the moon, but if you use evaluative, or matrix, probably not. The later two look at the whole scene and make an average to get your setting. Spot metering meters a very small area, which would be the moon only.

Search Moon on the forum, there are quite few threads that discuss the hows and why's of settings for the moon. Use a tripod, use a remote trigger, or at least the 10 second delay, and locking up the mirror might be needed.

4654762689_45a4873e11_o.jpg

400mm
f/8
1/25
ISO400

your settings will vary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back