Broken D3000 as a Backup Camera?

krisinstl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I managed to pick this up recently, its a D3000 w/ 18-55mm (w/ 16gb memory :D), but the hotshoe was broken off and consequently the pop up flash does not work either. After putting some black electrical tape over the hole in the body where the hotshoe was, it doesn't look bad at all. However, there is no flash capability for this camera at all. Considering I paid $100 total, should I try to sell it & lens for a profit and put the money towards a D3100 or something that's a better camera overall? I'm going to china for the fall semester and plan on doing some shooting in crappy areas, possibly hiking trips, etc, and was thinking it would be nice to have a camera I could not have to worry about replacing if I damaged it.

I've played around with the d3000 and i really dislike the 3 seconds you have to wait to review a photo after taking it, and using the menu to change iso is no fun :( I use a D90 right now.

selling it is always an option. i used to own one and honestly i never used the on camera flash anyway. that kit lens takes great photos either way, just has limitations. and the wait for processing does blow. and besides you said it was a backup. for 100 bucks id say you got a good deal.

You have to wait 3 seconds for a preview when shooting raw?? Damn that's worse than my P&S cameras...
What do you do with it is your decision. Backup camera is a nice idea, as well as selling it to someone else. It all depends on what you want/need.

Most reactions

Back