What's new

Broken Nikon D90 Lens Mount

The d90 is plastic, but it certainly feels well built. While other bodies may be metal, they are also wayyyy heavier, and once you get a lens that's big enough to be considered "heavy", you're balancing the camera on the lens, not the other way around. This is probably a unique incident. I have no worry at all with the structural limitations of a plastic body other than bashing it around into things, but then again, I would worry with a metal body as well, just to a lesser extent.
 
I shipped out the body today to Nikon's repair center in NY. How long after they receive the item and get it into the system do they typically have an estimate or notification of repair information?
 
This morning after going to class I went to grab my camera for a small event I had to shoot today for my college's newspaper. While opening up my bag I noticed my lens was separated from my camera. .....Uh oh

Kinda makes me nervous about my d90. What sort of bag did you have it in?
 
Well there's the problem. You have been keeping Nikon equipment in a Canon bag. :-P Supprised it lasted as long as it did.


Seriously, hope Nikon fixes it for you. If the D90 is a plastic body, maybe the mold for the frame will be found to have been thin or something.
 
Nikon will repair the camera, without a doubt.

I'll be totally amazed (not for the first time) if they do so as a warranty repair.
 
UPDATE- Repairing the camera for a cool $301.31. It's at Nikon's New York facility with a parts hold, "level C" repair.
 
Damn. Hopefully mine won't be that long. Doesn't matter too much to me, but still, 6 weeks is a long time.
 
Damn. Hopefully mine won't be that long. Doesn't matter too much to me, but still, 6 weeks is a long time.
Do you understand what it is they have to replace?

In this video of a Canon 10D, once the camera explodes and the very first part zooms toward you at :43? That's the part that has to be replaced in your D90. Pretty much the very heart of the camera. The camera has to be totally disassembled, reassembled and recalibrated.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-HiBDLVzYw]YouTube - UC Berkeley E128 Final Project - Canon 10D DSLR v2[/ame]
 
Damn. Hopefully mine won't be that long. Doesn't matter too much to me, but still, 6 weeks is a long time.
Do you understand what it is they have to replace?

In this video of a Canon 10D, once the camera explodes and the very first part zooms toward you at :43? That's the part that has to be replaced in your D90. Pretty much the very heart of the camera. The camera has to be totally disassembled, reassembled and recalibrated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-HiBDLVzYw"]YouTube - UC Berkeley E128 Final Project - Canon 10D DSLR v2[/ame]


The same problem would not happen on a 10D though because it is better made than the D90
 
Damn. Hopefully mine won't be that long. Doesn't matter too much to me, but still, 6 weeks is a long time.
Do you understand what it is they have to replace?

In this video of a Canon 10D, once the camera explodes and the very first part zooms toward you at :43? That's the part that has to be replaced in your D90. Pretty much the very heart of the camera. The camera has to be totally disassembled, reassembled and recalibrated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-HiBDLVzYw"]YouTube - UC Berkeley E128 Final Project - Canon 10D DSLR v2[/ame]


I realize that. As long as I have it back by late May, I have no worries. And if Nikon can't deliver by then then I'll be very upset with them.
 
UPDATE 2:

The camera arrived safely back to my house yesterday. Just over 4 weeks from when it was sent to them. For being such a major repair, rather fast service. Most of that time was spent in "parts hold" status.
 
Wow. That really sucks. I know that Nikon is stingy as hell in replacing anything at all that has even a 1% chance of user fault. Our student paper bought a D90, and part of the mount got ****ed up, and the lens was not coming off the camera body. Finally got the lens off, and low and behold, the entire mount had been displaced. Was absolutely not dropped or anything, and was babied. Sent it to Nikon, nope, you broke it, you pay to have it fixed. Luckily the store we bought it from fixed it for us as a positive gesture towards us, but it sucked.

That being said, my D90 has held up very well shooting with that same lens, and I dispute the fact that entry level bodies can't hold up to big lenses. I spent an entire weekend with my D40 with the 70-200 f2.8 attached, no problems at all.
 
Wow. That really sucks. I know that Nikon is stingy as hell in replacing anything at all that has even a 1% chance of user fault. Our student paper bought a D90, and part of the mount got ****ed up, and the lens was not coming off the camera body. Finally got the lens off, and low and behold, the entire mount had been displaced. Was absolutely not dropped or anything, and was babied. Sent it to Nikon, nope, you broke it, you pay to have it fixed. Luckily the store we bought it from fixed it for us as a positive gesture towards us, but it sucked.

That being said, my D90 has held up very well shooting with that same lens, and I dispute the fact that entry level bodies can't hold up to big lenses. I spent an entire weekend with my D40 with the 70-200 f2.8 attached, no problems at all.
You don't mention how part of the mount got ***ed up in the first place. Was it a lens with a plastic mount flang?

Tell us the rest of the story.

It also sounds like you forced off the lens? :scratch:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom