Brownie No.2A Folding Camera

TheChairman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently acquired a Brownie No. 2-a folder, and a feature about it seems to be a bit odd. It doesn't have a front element to the lens. I searched all over for examples of this camera, and I am getting about a mixed lot of some that HAVE front elements, and some that dont. I can't determine if my lens is broken/missing, or if this particular incarnation didn't feature or need a front element.

Any information at all would be helpful, as this camera is new to my collection.

Some of Kodak's cameras were offered with a choice of lenses at various price levels. Some of these lenses, like the Kodet, were very simple designs with only one or two elements. With a simple lens like these there are only two places you can put the shutter -- in front of it or behind it. In some cases Kodak put the shutter in front of the lens so it appears that the front portion of the lens is missing.

So in other words, I could possibly be able to start taking pictures with this thing now? This pleases me!

I took apart and cleaned up the viewfinder last night and it works well.

Yes. Take off the back, point it to the light and fire the shutter just to make sure it's not hanging up.

It's not. I checked that.

I did overlook one detail, however. The camera is unfortunately 116, a completely dead format. Oh well. I will have a great deal of fun restoring it and keeping it on my shelf to look at.

Not really dead. Google 116 film. It's pretty easy to rig it to shoot 120. You just need some washers and plastic anchors.

Sweet. I have a 2c Jr.. unfortunately, it uses 130 size film, which nobody makes anymore..I've been planning to modify it to shoot 120, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Kodak Autographic 2-C Jr. by bhop, on Flickr

Now these are what I call REAL cameras!! And yes, contrary to popular belief, 116 film is indeed still available today. Here's a photo of my pride and joy; a 1917 Autographic 1A in pristine condition, both cosmetically and mechanically; every bit as lovely as the day it was made 95 years ago. (complete with original "autographic" stylus)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

Proteus617 said:
Yes. Take off the back, point it to the light and fire the shutter just to make sure it's not hanging up.

Hello! I also recently received this same camera. Unfortunately, my shutter only works about one of every thirty times I try to use it. Any suggestions?

The camera is unfortunately 116, a completely dead format. Oh well. I will have a great deal of fun restoring it and keeping it on my shelf to look at.

Not really a problem. You can load it with 120 film, simply using 4 cut-off wall plugs to extend the 120 spool.

Here is how I did that with my own Kodak No 1a Pocket Camera.

4804917925_98fd332782.jpg

Most reactions

Back