Bucking the trend. Omega C700 enlarger, can I put a 80mm lens on it to work with 4x5, or 6x6?

Luna44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I have experience working in a darkroom. Granted most my experience is with 35mm. I recently started shooting 120mm. I would like to be able to print 6x 6. I know you need a 75 or 80 mm enlarger lens to do so. My question is what is required to switch the lens out to a higher mm?
I've never done this. Do I need a lens board plus the lens? or a lens mount? Do all Omega use the same type of lens mount? I also have a Rollie 6x 7 enlarger that is medium format 6x 7. The supplies for Rollie enlargers seem limited though? If anyone can help me understand how all this works I would be thankful.

You'll need a lens which covers the same format as the negative, i.e. a 6x6 negative needs a 80mm lens, and a 6x7 needs a 90mm lens; and of course, the proper negative carriers.

I assume the Rollie 6 x7 has an 80 mm lens in it. My question is about what you need to change out the lens? It came with what I think are lens boards? Black metal plates with threaded holes in them. Just need some advice on how to shop for enlarger lenses. Found a 6 x 6 negative carriers for the Rollie.

Black metal plates with threaded holes in them.

All my lenses have a 39mm tread, yours should as well. Some of my lens board have threads and some I use a thread ring. So if you need to change the lens just unscrew one off and screw the other on.
I have a every lens mounted on it's own board to make switching easy.
I have the following lenses sizes (All Rodenstock and a few Nikkor's).
25mm-for half frames or 110, 50mm-for 35mm, 80mm-for 645,6x6, 105mm 6x7,8,9, 135mm-for 4x5.

Omega C700 instructions..... http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/C-700 Condenser and Dichro.pdf

Rule of thumb: Whatever is a 'normal' or 'standard' lens for the format of film you're shooting, that's the focal length recommended for use on the enlarger.

Find a manual (paper or PDF) for your enlargers, without a manual you are working blind.
The manual should tell you about mounting the lens.

Many Omegas use a lens board, but I don't know if the C700 does.
If it does, you can either get a board for each lens (what most of us do), or swap the lens on the board (more of a bother and hassle).

The C700 is a 6x7 enlarger, so you cannot enlarge a 4x5 negative with it.

I recently started shooting 120mm.

Just to help clarify any possible misunderstanding:

120 film is not 120mm film and has no 120mm dimension. The “120” is just a number that Kodak assigned the film when it was introduced. It's closer to 60mm or 61mm in actual width. It's just referred to as "120 film."

I recently started shooting 120mm.

Just to help clarify any possible misunderstanding:

120 film is not 120mm film and has no 120mm dimension. The “120” is just a number that Kodak assigned the film when it was introduced. It's closer to 60mm or 61mm in actual width. It's just referred to as "120 film."

thank you for the clarification. I will be more careful about how i describe things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back