What's new

Budget crisis...

I think the point of this thread has been lost throughout the discussion

I don't have enough to purchase a $1000 2.8 zoom lens. I'm currently shooting nighttime sports and wanted to know if there were any affordable zoom lenses from (3rd parties too) that would help me.

The idea of using a prime lens was only introduced because I only shoot between 70-90mm at the games so I was asking if getting the 50 or 85 1.8 would be a good idea... plus they are within my price range.


85F1.8
 
This thread went sideways a bit before sort of getting back on track.

Meike..

For way less than $1000 you can get a constant aperture f/2.8 zoom. As Ulrichsd says above, the Nikkor (Nikon) 80-200 push-pull can often be found for less than $500. It is a solid well made all metal and glass lens, tough as nails and with excellent image quality. True, it is an older design and your camera will have to have a focus motor to work the autofocus of the lens. If you can find one of these in good condition at a price you can afford don't hesitate to buy it. I found one for less than $100 a few months back, cleaned it up and resold it making myself a very nice profit - enough to get a top of the line teleconverter.

Another really nice push-pull constant f/2.8 zoom from Nikon is the 35-70 f/2.8D. These two lenses were the pro zooms of choice for event photography for many years.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom