Budget DSLR with Good HD video capabilities?

AFamous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm completely new to photography and videography. Honestly, I just want to start making some amateur music videos with some decent production value instead of a webcam. I opted out of a HD Video Camera because I also wanted to have the ability to take some nice stills!

What are some good recommendations? I'm looking between $500-1000 for Body + Lens (I know I'm pushing it, but I also do music production and am spending a good chunk of money on that equipment)

I've read up on a couple, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say! Thank you!

I love my Canon T3i and one of the reasons I love it is because of the HD video recording and the tilting LCD. Just keep in mind that there is no AF in recording mode. It starts at $850 for the kit so it's on the higher end of your budget including tax. That's my vote.

Video should be shot while manually focused. Buy a used Canon T2i with a 50mm 1.8.

Sony is the only still camera with autofocus HD video.

skieur

skieur said:

skieur

But the AF is still noisy just like a dslr. Which is why a canon would work better.

Its not a DSLR but one of the best camera's I've seen for HD video is the Panasonic GH2. It was specifically designed (ex: lenses with silent motors, AF functioning) with video in mind Furthermore, just like most mirror less cameras you are open to the possibilities of using other "adapted" lenses for video as well. I have video shot with a 50mm f/1 Leica Noctilux which is a novelty. Its not up there with the likes of the Canon 5D but certainly cheaper and very competitive in terms of quality. GH3 is due to be out soon so you should see some good deals on GH2. I've seen a few used samples hit the market since Olympus made their next camera announcement.

On the other had....

If video is your primary focus, you should consider a HD camcorder instead. There are some distinct advantages. I've been told that many video capable still cameras are limited to 29 minute segments because Europe tacks on taxes on Camcorders. The 29 minute limit these cameras have are their way of avoiding the steep tax that would push the price of these cameras well into the Camcorder range.

Last edited:
skieur said:

skieur

But the AF is still noisy just like a dslr. Which is why a canon would work better.

The AF is noisy ONLY with Sigma lenses. It is quiet with Sony lenses.

skieur

Its not a DSLR but one of the best camera's I've seen for HD video is the Panasonic GH2. It was specifically designed (ex: lenses with silent motors, AF functioning) with video in mind Furthermore, just like most mirror less cameras you are open to the possibilities of using other "adapted" lenses for video as well. I have video shot with a 50mm f/1 Leica Noctilux which is a novelty. Its not up there with the likes of the Canon 5D but certainly cheaper and very competitive in terms of quality. GH3 is due to be out soon so you should see some good deals on GH2. I've seen a few used samples hit the market since Olympus made their next camera announcement.

On the other had....

If video is your primary focus, you should consider a HD camcorder instead. There are some distinct advantages. I've been told that many video capable still cameras are limited to 29 minute segments because Europe tacks on taxes on Camcorders. The 29 minute limit these cameras have are their way of avoiding the steep tax that would push the price of these cameras well into the Camcorder range.

I have used the Panasonic television cameras for broadcast and pro video work and they are certainly robust, durable and good quality. I have never yet used their still cameras for video, so I cannot say what they are like.

skieur

Nikon d5100 has pretty descent video with auto focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to record the sound separately and dub back in post? If not, add a good quality mic to your budget (rode videomic pro).

Agree with the t3i rec. You can save some money with the t2i but you loose the articulating screen.

Also look into magic lantern firmware.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've got the D7000 and I think it does a pretty decent job of recording HD video with good lighting, but I've had issues with focus in low light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back