Budget friendly camera for sports pics?

27cancan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

help!! I am currently in an Intro to Digital Photography class and am in need of a new camera (the Nikon that I have is too automatic). I need manual controls (shutter, aperture, and IOS). I would also like to be able to take Great pics of my son playing baseball.
I have read a zillion reviews on a zillion cameras, and I am at a loss. I don't have much to spend, 200-300.
What do u suggest??? My instructor suggested Canon or Nikon??

200-300 is quite low for a camera you want, Sports is one of the most expensive field in photography. Plus you need manual mode, and you still need a telephoto lens for long range shots. I'd suggest buying a superzoom bridge camera. Look for a used or new Canon SX30 in you range!

Bull**** /cough

I bought my girl an Canon XT and brand new 50 f/1.8 for $260.

OP - Look for used DSLRs. Check Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums. You have to sign up to view their classifieds but it's a huge site and have a ton of stuff ton of used gear coming and going. Check e-bay, craigslist, Fred Miranda, and other online classifieds.

**** me 50mm will be perfect for baseball should be able to take some pictures of the crowd

On that budget you'll have to look for a used camera. A "new" camera (even a "refurbished" camera which is technically used but comes from the factory and has a warranty) would probably run a minimum of $400-450.

But you can find lots of used bodies. KEH.com is known for dealing in used gear and they rate the condition of the equipment so you have an indication of whether it's pretty beat up vs. a camera that's been gently used or used with care.

Canon systems at KEH: Canon Digital Camera Outfits - KEH.com
Nikon systems at KEH: Nikon Digital Camera Outfits - KEH.com

Use the filter box at the left. You can enter your price range and it'll show you what they have. I noticed a Canon XTi as well as a Nikon D60 in your price range.

Other than that you can try eBay and Craigslist -- but there you're buying direct from another seller so you're taking them at their word as to the condition of the gear and the fact that it still works.

B&H Photo and Adorama both have "used" camera departments on their website and you can check them as they'd be reputable sellers who also grade the condition of the used gear.

Unless you can really find a good deal on a DSLR and a telephoto, a bridge camera or one those those megazooms with manual controls will be your best option. Before I got my DSLR, I used an Olympus SP800 30x megazoom/bridge camera. That model didn't even manual controls but I was able to take decent sports shots and even birds in flight. The better ones are Nikon and Canon of course, if budget is a concern Olympus and Fujifilm are also good alternatives.

Last edited:
you are in need of a different font.

$200-$300 is a very poor budget for sports photography.
not saying it is impossible, but you would need to find an older film camera like a canon AE-1 or nikon FM...something super cheap for a body and then get an old compatible tele-zoom or long prime lens.

The minimum budget (assuming brand new) would be around $700. That would get you an entry level DLSR, a kit lens usually an 18-55mm, and a telephoto ranging from a maximum focal length of 200-300mm. You can try different combinations to save more but that's the approximate budget. Again either go used or consider a bridge camera if budget is a concern.

PS As pixmedic mentioned, a film camera is another option. But IMO the hassle and cost of film can also a detriment to some. Nonetheless film does takes fantastic pictures. No doubt about that and it was the de facto standard before digital.

Last edited:
Hi sir, i need a sports car, i have 1000$.
sorry sir, you can't get a sport car for 1000$.
Are you sure i can't get a sport car for 1000$ because i really need a sport car to race.
sorry sir, you can't race with a 1000$ car. you can go make some groceries and go around town to take a coffee or go see some friends.

200-300 wont get you a lens

Bull**** /cough

I bought my girl an Canon XT and brand new 50 f/1.8 for $260.

OP - Look for used DSLRs. Check Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums. You have to sign up to view their classifieds but it's a huge site and have a ton of stuff ton of used gear coming and going. Check e-bay, craigslist, Fred Miranda, and other online classifieds.

Not saying that a 50mm couldn't be used to shoot baseball, but the standard for sports seems to be the 70-200 f2.8, which can be bought for $200-300 but it's as hot as lava. Can't typically find a 70-200 f4 for less than $500.

Not saying that a 50mm couldn't be used to shoot baseball, but the standard for sports seems to be the 70-200 f2.8, which can be bought for $200-300 but it's as hot as lava. Can't typically find a 70-200 f4 for less than $500.

I use a 300f2.8l and that is only just long enough rugby, football (soccer) not long enough for cricket without an extender and a bit of cropping not long enough for surf without extender

ronlane said:

Can you link me to a 70-200 f/2.8 for 200-300 bucks?

I use a 300f2.8l and that is only just long enough rugby, football (soccer) not long enough for cricket without an extender and a bit of cropping not long enough for surf without extender

why is it long enough for rugby and football but not cricket? ( i am unfamiliar with cricket)

ronlane said:

Can you link me to a 70-200 f/2.8 for 200-300 bucks?

No I can't, which is why I said it would be hot as lava.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back