Bugs

These are amazing! I love #2 and #4. The colors and focus on #2 are breathtaking.

Wow very very inspiring for me to explore and practice Macro. All of them are awesome!

doenoe I honestly been looking at your shots since my last post on this thread trying to figure out how the heck did you do these...LOL

How did you manage to take the bee mid flight in the air? (was the camera in a tripod)

How do you look at the subject and apply just the right DOF? or is that PP?

Understand if you can't give the secrets to us Macro beginners :D but I'm really
enjoying looking at your work.

No secrets here, i just read alot on here and got alot of help from TCimages. I pretty much always shoot with the same settings: ISO100, F/13 - F/16 and 1/200 - 1/250. So no real difficulty here. I always have a Speedlite 430EX with a Lumiquest softbox on it. You need a diffuser or a softbox to get some nice soft shadows, not the harsh stuff.
The hardest part is probably holding the camera still. I dont ever use a tripod, cause that just doesnt work for macro (when shooting bugs or other stuff that moves around) but thats my opinion. But with some practice you can get steady hands and shoot some nice pics.
The flying pics were lucky shots, the fly was hanging around in pretty much the same spot. So i just had to wait till it would be in a good spot and shoot it.
Hope that helps. If you need any more info, just ask it and ill try to help :)

No secrets here, i just read alot on here and got alot of help from TCimages. I pretty much always shoot with the same settings: ISO100, F/13 - F/16 and 1/200 - 1/250. So no real difficulty here. I always have a Speedlite 430EX with a Lumiquest softbox on it. You need a diffuser or a softbox to get some nice soft shadows, not the harsh stuff.
The hardest part is probably holding the camera still. I dont ever use a tripod, cause that just doesnt work for macro (when shooting bugs or other stuff that moves around) but thats my opinion. But with some practice you can get steady hands and shoot some nice pics.
The flying pics were lucky shots, the fly was hanging around in pretty much the same spot. So i just had to wait till it would be in a good spot and shoot it.
Hope that helps. If you need any more info, just ask it and ill try to help :)

Thanks alot denoe. I think my next objective is do some research on macro lenses then go from there.

Love #8

How do you usually hand hold the camera/lens?

Either my Sigma 150mm is heavy for me I just need to find way to properly hold it.

Thanks

well, i hold in a pretty normal way. The left side of the camera is resting on the palm of the left hand, the thumb and index finger of that hand hold the lens. The right hand cant be hold in another way then usual, cause you have to push the shutterbutton. I do most of the time put my elbows against my ribs, so i got some suport. Just remember to hold your breath when clicking :) Or when its possible i put my elbows on the ground or lean against a tree or something. So in short, if you can find some suport, use it

Great Daan, as always! Is #2 grinning at you? He looks like he needs a shave.

And i didnt use a ringflash, thats a bit above budget. I used a Speedlite 430EX with a difuser on it. Normally i use a Lumiquest softbox on my speedlite, but these were shot with a normal difuser on it.

Most reactions

Back