BugZilla!!

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok.. so this creepy arse bug was just hanging out on my screen door... never seen one before. Its huge, and creepy lol..

SO... any of you " Bug shooting Guys" know what the crap this weird thing is?? lol :confused:

sorry--crappy pic, shot with my cell phone--max zoom ( wasnt getting any closer to it than needed)

Thanks in advance!
IMG03106-20100805-2313.jpg

IMG03100-20100805-2310.jpg

We do not have those around here!

Maybe a cicada? "Periodic cicada", I think is the sub-species it might be.

.Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class:Insecta
Order: Homoptera
Family: Cicadidae

Found this, from your region, plus another report that said they were "out" on July 10 in your area. http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/cicada.htm

Ew! Yes...that's it. No idea what one of those noisy ass things actually looked like...that sound they make drives me flippin crazy! Ahh! Lol thanks Derrel! I wouldn't have even known where to look....

Apparently you've never been around for one of the 17 year cicada cycles. These things cover every inch of ground, trees, cars, road, and every cubic inch of air.

Apparently you've never been around for one of the 17 year cicada cycles. These things cover every inch of ground, trees, cars, road, and every cubic inch of air.

Lol, sick! No..I have not. ( Fortunetly ) I just recently moved here from Northern Arizona...and I had never heard or seen these annoying things until moving here. Bummer.

Luckily for you I'd say we have at least 12 years until the next cycle.

Of course there's the 12 year cycle as well... :p

It's always fun when you get swarms. Every few years here we get swarms of Mormon Crickets so thick that the roads get slick.

Yeah my wife got attacked by one last night and totally freaked out. you don't really need a macro to take a picture of those bugs lol. The ones up here look a bit different. They are more green and their eyes are black.

Found this, from your region, plus another report that said they were "out" on July 10 in your area. Cicadas in the Low Desert
^^^^^^we also called them locusts as kids until we found out the real name. Fried and dipped in chocolate theyre considered a delicacy. hmmmm. No never had one.:puke:

Found this, from your region, plus another report that said they were "out" on July 10 in your area. Cicadas in the Low Desert
^^^^^^we also called them locusts as kids until we found out the real name. Fried and dipped in chocolate theyre considered a delicacy. hmmmm. No never had one.:puke:

ewww. No thanks,. Ill pass :lmao:

Yeah my wife got attacked by one last night and totally freaked out. you don't really need a macro to take a picture of those bugs lol. The ones up here look a bit different. They are more green and their eyes are black.

Oh damn! haha.. that sucks!

Yeah i know that sucker was half the size of my blackberry.. LOL..:shock: ok so im exaggerating a *little*:lol:.... it was HUGE though... had my phone like and inch from its head trying to get as close as possible.. i wouldve pissed my pants had it flown at me .:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I cannot hear them anymore, folks around me say "hear that" & I don't.

I guess because im "new" to the city sounds... bugs and all.. i can still clearly hear them.. like needles to my eardrums. haha

Im used to hearing Elks, coyotes, and other "forrest" like creatures:(

They are completely harmless and dont bite.

Cicadas are the loudest insects in the world,according to that article I pointed you to last night...it says the sounds the males make can be heard up to 440 yards distant!!!!

Most reactions

Back