Building a starter in home studio to practice.

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Right now, I have a softbox I built out of cardboard, duct tape and tin foil and a piece of cloth on my dining room wall. That's my studio right now lol. A friend of mine offered his finished basement to build a studio. It's a large basement and I have plenty of room to do whatever with.

I have a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) blog where I review products sent to me by manufacturers or distributors. So this studio would have to cater to stock photography, as well as modeled shots. Along with that I want to work on portrait photography.

I found this on ebay.
Photo Video Studio Large Softbox Backdrop Muslin Kit | eBayIs this enough for what I am looking to do? If not what else would you recommend?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't work out if it is flash or continuous but the quality at that price must be so so, i would aviod it like the plague, take a look at the Interfit EX150 great starter they have won a lot of gold awards in Uk mags Interfit USA Office

Can't work out if it is flash or continuous but the quality at that price must be so so, i would aviod it like the plague, take a look at the Interfit EX150 great starter they have won a lot of gold awards in Uk mags Interfit USA Office

This may sound odd, but I am not looking for quality just yet. For $160 I'm not expecting much. If I have to duct tape it after 3 weeks of use I wouldn't really mind. I mean after all, I am using a cardboard softbox right now lol. I will however bookmark that site, and come back to it in a few months when I am ready for something more permanent. Appreciate the link. What I am looking for, is an affirmation or denial on whether this is enough light for what I want to accomplish or if I should be using umbrellas instead etc.

I think it's is continuous btw.

Do not buy continuous lights. Spend the extra $50 and get a cheap strobe kit if it's just for practice.

This is indeed continuous lighting and if the quality of their equipment is anything like the quality of their English translations...

"The products this company offers are products that are reliable, durable, and made of high excellence. LS Photo Studio Photography Kit presents its features for any person interested in encapsulating that perfect, memorable picture. This kit works with all kit that you may currently have and depending on your usage, may be used to create a whole new photo shop."

Referring to it as 'junk' is an insult to genunine junk the world over. I would strongly suggest looking at strobes instead. Contrary to popular belief, strobes are much easier to work with, much more versatile, and give you a much better end product. Check out the Flashpoint series from Adorama; they are a very well reviewed, inexpensive consumer-level line.

Do not buy continuous lights. Spend the extra $50 and get a cheap strobe kit if it's just for practice.

What are the advantages of strobe of continuous?

This is indeed continuous lighting and if the quality of their equipment is anything like the quality of their English translations...

"The products this company offers are products that are reliable, durable, and made of high excellence. LS Photo Studio Photography Kit presents its features for any person interested in encapsulating that perfect, memorable picture. This kit works with all kit that you may currently have and depending on your usage, may be used to create a whole new photo shop."

Referring to it as 'junk' is an insult to genunine junk the world over. I would strongly suggest looking at strobes instead. Contrary to popular belief, strobes are much easier to work with, much more versatile, and give you a much better end product. Check out the Flashpoint series from Adorama; they are a very well reviewed, inexpensive consumer-level line.

haha yes, I am sure this stuff is below junk. But I will say, I have bought cheap chinese crap and have been surprised by the usefulness. I am looking at the flashpoint gear now.

What are the advantages of strobe of continuous?

There are a lot, I am bad at explaining things and always leave stuff out so I'm sure someone else can provide a better answer then me!
KmH??

The main advantage to strobes over continuous is the amount of available light. Even the most powerful continuous lights are not going to allow you to use high shutter speeds and small apertures.

The main advantage to strobes over continuous is the amount of available light. Even the most powerful continuous lights are not going to allow you to use high shutter speeds and small apertures.

I see. Along with strobes, you have to buy a wireless kit as well correct?

Usually the kits come with a cheap one, just one though so if your camera doesn't have a spot for a sync cord then you will need another one, well the part that connects to the strobe anyway. See how great I am at explaining things???

Usually the kits come with a cheap one, just one though so if your camera doesn't have a spot for a sync cord then you will need another one, well the part that connects to the strobe anyway. See how great I am at explaining things???

I think I kind of understand. As for the strobes, how many would I need?

When would you require both continuous and strobe lighting?

You will need a way to trigger the strobes. Radio triggers are the most convenient way, but they are also the most expensive. The cheap triggers that come with inexpensive strobe kits aren't usually reliable enough to make them worth keeping. If you do with strobes, check out Cactus triggers - they're the best of the 'cheap' line. If you go with radio triggers, you will need at least one transmitter and one receiver. Most strobes have a built-in flash trigger (a trigger which will activate the flash when it sees the flash from another strobe/speedlight), but this means that the lights have to have a line of sight path. One transmitter and one receiver per light is your best bet.

When would you require both continuous and strobe lighting?
I can't think of any situation where you would.

Most reactions

Back