No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The stare down.

$Burrowing Owl-2 resized.jpg
$Burrowing Owl-3 resized.jpg
$Burrowing Owl-4 resized.jpg
4. Per Matthew's recommendation, I added adjustment brush instead of graduated filter (make the background color uneven). I think it is a little better.
$Burrowing Owl-4 adjustment brush resized.jpg

Al,

Last edited:
Nice, those guys are so cool. I would love to see them in person. I like the last one with green back ground. Maybe a reduction of highlights and add add a gradient filter to equalize exposure a little better on both sides of the owl.

Thanks for C&C. I will try your suggestions. I decided to drive 3 hrs to see these guys. There are like more than 20 of them in a couple blocks. I was there late due to searching and looking for them. The light is harsh. They are quite small and hard to see when they blend in with the ground color. Now that I know where they are and what to look for, I will be back there in the winter as it is really hot this time of year (100+ Fahrenheit).

Al,

I love burrowing owls, aren't they hilarious to watch in person? hehe...great shots

I like #2, its a little soft (big crop I'm guessing since these guys are pretty small), but it's got character.

I love burring Owls!

I use to have one that would perch on a fence post outside my room at night when I younger looking for field mice.

Thanks all. Yeah, the guy has a little attitude issue with me. He/she moves the head up and down and making noise (probably cursing at me for getting too close).

I love burrowing owls, aren't they hilarious to watch in person? hehe...great shots

I like #2, its a little soft (big crop I'm guessing since these guys are pretty small), but it's got character.

It is cropped and plus I don't have the big prime lens... Mind letting me borrow yours? :) I think I need to get down to the ground with this guy to get a cooler shot. I will try it next time in the winter.

Nice, those guys are so cool. I would love to see them in person.

If you are ever in the Miami area go to Brian Piccolo, bear to the left as you enter the park and look to your left. That's where I photographed mine a year or so ago.

Nice photos BTW.

Nice, those guys are so cool. I would love to see them in person.

If you are ever in the Miami area go to Brian Piccolo, bear to the left as you enter the park and look to your left. That's where I photographed mine a year or so ago.

Nice photos BTW.

Thanks for the location. I am in California now but if I happen to vacation there I will sure drop by.

It is cropped and plus I don't have the big prime lens... Mind letting me borrow yours? :) I think I need to get down to the ground with this guy to get a cooler shot. I will try it next time in the winter.

'eh even with a super tele you'd probably have to crop, I never realized how small these guys were until I saw them in person. you're lucky you have them in winter, they migrate away from here so we only have them around from april to around September/October.

Thanks all. Yeah, the guy has a little attitude issue with me. He/she moves the head up and down and making noise (probably cursing at me for getting too close).

be careful with these guys, they're not going to attack you or anything, but if they're disturbed too much they'll abandon the nesting site. I was out observing them with a biologist who was in charge of placing trackers/bands on them earlier this year, he was saying that if they're making their 'alarm chatter' call, you're probably too close and should back away a little distance (you can hear the 'chatter alarm' call on Cornell's page here: Burrowing Owl, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology ), they're much less concerned and will usually let you get a little closer if you're inside a car as a blind.

Badass!

I like #2 that pose that the owl has going on is way cool.

'eh even with a super tele you'd probably have to crop, I never realized how small these guys were until I saw them in person. you're lucky you have them in winter, they migrate away from here so we only have them around from april to around September/October.

be careful with these guys, they're not going to attack you or anything, but if they're disturbed too much they'll abandon the nesting site. I was out observing them with a biologist who was in charge of placing trackers/bands on them earlier this year, he was saying that if they're making their 'alarm chatter' call, you're probably too close and should back away a little distance (you can hear the 'chatter alarm' call on Cornell's page here: Burrowing Owl, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology ), they're much less concerned and will usually let you get a little closer if you're inside a car as a blind.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about this. Thanks for the link.

Most reactions

Back