Business Card Critique

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by bdavis, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

Brian:

I agree with all this... I think we're just on opposite sides of the marketing spectrum. I personally see a business card as a potential marketing item... not much different than a postcard, brochure, or website. I don't see it as just as a way to lead people to your other marketing materials.

I also agree that you will ultimately be judged by your work (as you should). But I think because business cards are so cheap to distribute, they can be a nice showcase for this work. Compare the marketing price of sending out 1,000 8-page brochures with the cost of passing out 1,000 business cards.

And because of the low cost, I also think for photographers who have multiple specialties... it makes sense to have multiple cards. If you are a portrait and wedding photographer, don't have a card that tries to do it all. Have one "wedding" card and one "portrait" card... and distribute them as appropriate.

As for my own business cards... I don't have them. But I'm a marketer, not a photographer... and I have my own reasons for not carrying them.

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have done a good job with the design, no probs there, well done.

However, i have designed cards for many photographers showing images. It does not make it unprofessional, as i design it with a very considered layout.
    You can also definitely use a business card to promote your business... absolutely... it is all part of your business brand, and branding itself can sell your business.

I did mention tho that yours still works well without images, because it has a strong brand, and there is nothing wrong with taking that rout.
    Iv added more info in the other business card thread...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/162272-business-cards.html

3. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think this is going to be an ongoing debate. I can see both sides of the issue but to me it seems to come down to preference. I would rather not have images on my card. I want something simple and clean where as others may want to have some sample images, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not my taste.

4. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

Brian:

This would actually make an interesting experiment. Have a photographer print up 1,000 cards "without an image" and 1,000 cards "with an image," then track the sales on those cards for a year or so.

The preference thing is interesting. For instance, I strongly dislike the colors orange and yellow, and I don't like polka dots. But if somebody can prove to me (by doing a "real-world" test like the one above) that my website will result in 3 times more sales if I use orange and yellow polka dots, you better believe that I'm going to use them. 'Cause I'll trade my personal preferences for sales every time... within reason, of course.

In other words... as an artist, preference counts for everything. As a businessperson, it counts for much less. It's finding that compromise in your own life and business that's important.