Business domain name decision

Fingtam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting ready to start my business soon, and am debating on whether I want to tack on the word "photography" or "Photo" at the end of my domain name. Right now I am probably not going to include either (in the interest of a shorter, more concise domain that's easy to remember.)

I don't think I've ever seen a photography small business website without one of those two words (it's always Johnsmithphotography.com instead of just johnsmith.com or northernexposurephoto.com instead of just northernexposure.com) So I'm wondering if that is an important aspect to the domain name for some reason.

Obviously I want my clients to know I am in the photography business, but I'm sure they would already know that based on whatever brought them to my site (business card, google search, ect.)

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Btw, I've already searched for all three potential domain names on Godaddy.com, and they are all available, so that is not an issue.

I would buy all 3 and have two of them redirect to whichever one you decide is your main domain name. You want to make it as easy as possible for someone to find you.

The advice you've already received is solid, and absolutely what you should do.

To add to it, I've seen this done both ways. I think the decision really depends on how you're trying to market yourself, what kind of photography you're doing, and who you are trying to attract. I think that the MOST important thing is consistency, what does your logo, watermark, letterhead, etc say? If it all says "joe smith photography", then the URL also needs to include photography.

Will you be doing retail, commercial, editorial photography or some combination of same.

I did both retail and commercial and didn't use the words photography or photo.

As mentioned it's a good idea to cover all the domain name bases including both the .com, and .net domains.

At something less than $15 for a domain name, it's worth renting control of all the combinations. Ten combinations would likely cost less than $150 a year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back