business head shot for critique

As Fit alluded to, the nature of the subject's business is critical to the design of the image, but to be honest, I can't imagine any image for which this should would really work well. The lighting is decent, and the background while not ideal, could be lived with, but the posing and camera angle kill it IMO.

Are you kidding ? The lighting is horrific. I've seen Lifetouch or Artona do better lighting.

head shot re size.jpg

I tried to incorporate the suggestions and advice. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Much better in my book. yet in this photo your eyes look into different directions and the word "expectation" is written on your forehead.

A bit more relaxed!

Thank you, Frank.
You're right, that darn right eye of mine is a little lazy sometimes. It's tough to look relaxed. I have a tough enough time with the photography, and being the model is way out of my comfort zone.

It's great to hear that you think it is better. Thanks!

Should I have shoulders square to the camera and level?
No. Keep your shoulders at a angle to the camera, about 30°, with the forward shoulder closest to the camera.
Tilt your head slightly at the neck towards the forward shoulder.
Wouldn't the 'forward' shoulder be closest to the camera by default? Is there a way to stand so the shoulder closest to the camera is the rearward one? (Without having the camera behind the subject) :)

Thank you, Frank.
You're right, that darn right eye of mine is a little lazy sometimes. It's tough to look relaxed. I have a tough enough time with the photography, and being the model is way out of my comfort zone.

It's great to hear that you think it is better. Thanks!
Look at a target behind and just above the camera maybe?

head shot re size eye moved vignette.jpg
You can see the differences better side by side with the original using this method (click to enlarge and go back and forth with the arrows)

I took the liberty (and it was a huge liberty I admit and if you ask it will be removed at once) to move your eye for you. I hope you are not offended in any way I meant no offense, it was based on your comment about your eye being lazy...
head shot re size eye moved vignette.jpg

Last edited:
No offense taken at all. Thank you. Did you do it in Photoshop? May I ask how you did it? I was trying with liquify and selecting then moving ... didn't have much luck

I got liquify to work acceptably after a few tries. Thanks again.

I selected the iris and pupil areas and promoted the selection to a new layer and unselected all, then I cloned out some of the iris on the base image and softened the white and re-selected the layer with the iris and pupil and selected the image area and moved it a tiny bit. then I merged the layer down, adjusted the brightness and contrast as levels and finally added a small amount of vignette to bring the background down a little behind you.

Oh, I don't use Photoshop. I used Photopaint for this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back