But I'm not a pro?

TallDude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son was performing at a Large Symphony Hall. We bought tickets to see him. I brought my camera (7d with my Sigma 100-400) to get some close-ups. Wish I had 70-200 2.8 for that. As we passed through the security check point, I put my camera on the table. He looked at it and asked me if I was a professional photographer? I said "No, I'm just coming to see my son and some of his friends
Honors Concert 2020-0032.JPG
Honors Concert 2020-0037.JPG
play in the high school district honor orchestra. It's not a professional venue. What's the problem?" He said it's the size of my lens. He paused a moment, then said Go ahead, it's okay? I always stand in the wings up against a wall, and only snap the shutter when the music is loud enough to mask the noise. There was one professional photographer there who had some lanyard around his neck, along with a couple of cameras. He went out of his way to let me know that he was going to be walking by me at times? It was odd the way he said it? I'm 6'7 and 245 lbs, so most people think twice about giving me attitude. Maybe he had some sort of exclusive rights to be there? I don't know. I've shot a lot of high school sports, but I'm old friends with the athletic director so maybe I would need permission shooting at other schools?

Maybe he was just letting you know he wouldn’t be able to pay attention to staying out of your shot if it meant missing a shot he needed since he probably had a shot list or plan.

As for security- they were probably concerned more about you obstructing someone else’s view than anything else.

IMO: No, they probably had an agreement with some professional photographer to share in the sales revenue from the pro, which is why the gate person was evaluating your equipment. They don't want you to offer your shots for sale. The pro wanted to make sure you understood you were subservient to his efforts.

I have no problem letting people do their job. The photography profession, I completely respect. I have a few friends who are pros, and I always pay them for their services. I looked at the Concert Hall rules and found this:

Can I take pictures during the show?
You may take pictures in the lobbies of all theaters. However, due to copyright laws, there is no picture taking or video recording allowed inside the theaters during a performance.

-My 100-400 probably wouldn't work to well in the lobby:) That may be why the security person was questioning my camera, but saw my side of the story. It's a school event.

What items are prohibited at the venues?
The following is a partial list of items that are prohibited. This list is subject to change. Please contact the Center for event specific policies and information.

• Weapons, pepper spray/mace, flares, fireworks
  • Food, beverage*, alcohol, cans, bottles, flasks, coolers, drugs, illegal substances
  • Pamphlets, product samples
  • Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, helmets, chairs, beach balls
  • Laptop/Tablet computers, 2-way radios, laser pointers
  • Balloons, permanent markers, spray paint
  • Noise making devices: air horns, drums, whistles
  • Professional Recording Devices: audio or video
  • Bags (backpacks, large bags, suitcases, luggage)
  • Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters
  • Animals (with the exception of trained service animals and service animals in training for Patrons with disabilities)
  • Drones, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
*The only exception is unopened plastic water bottle one liter or smaller. Plastic water containers (i.e. Nalgene bottles) are permitted provided they are emptied of contents prior to entry. Metal and glass containers (i.e. certain Hydroflasks and Yeti's) are not permitted.

-Doesn't mention Still Photos

The more I think about it, the performer more than likely has exclusive media recording rights written into all their contracts. In this case, the school district rented out the Concert Hall and probably hired the photographer to shoot the performance.

IMO: No, they probably had an agreement with some professional photographer to share in the sales revenue from the pro, which is why the gate person was evaluating your equipment. They don't want you to offer your shots for sale. The pro wanted to make sure you understood you were subservient to his efforts.
I find it difficult to believe there'd be any significant sales revenue from a high-school concert.

I just ran some numbers and they are big. This was the District Honor Orchestra and Honor Choir which is comprised of the best students from all the middle schools and high schools in the district. It's the 8th largest district in the state and 78th in the country. We paid $60. each for our seats. The cheapest seat was $40. There were some $100. seats. It was sold out at the capacity of 1,700. x average ticket $50. ? = $ 85,000. and no performers to pay.....
Concert Hall 1700 cap.JPG

This was a big deal for my son. They usually perform in their high school gym. He was so impressed with the Hall and behind the scenes he couldn't stop talking about it. It was a great experience, and he was first chair. This is my favorite photo. While some of the younger percussionist were playing, he was taking a break.
Honors Concert 2020-0042.JPG

Although the situation was quite different, I was asked the same question once.

I was at the MotoGP race that was being held at Indy and looking to get shots from the action on the track.

Based on the schedule, lighting, available viewing "ports" through the fence, and wanting to get shots of the bikes cranked over in a turn, I picked a particular spot and parked my butt there at what must have been an hour before the next session started so I would be up front and have an unobstructed view.

I stood there for hours getting shots of all the classes. At some point someone approached me and said something like "I passed by a couple of hours ago and you were in the same spot, are you a pro?"

Nope. Just dedicated.

It does not surprise me that security thought you were a Pro. Almost all the cameras they see are smart phones or those small sized cameras like my wife carries in her purse.

These days, one might expect anything out of the norm, to prompt a question or two from security.

Judging from the photos, the effort was worth a few questions. Good photos make good memories.

The other issue is distracting the audience.

The sound of a dSLR depending on model can be noisy. I had this issue at the local high school, when a parent came up to us and complained about the camera noise.
And if many shots are taken at one, the rapid sequence of shutter sound can also be distracting.
Since I can't do anything about the shutter itself, my instruction to the kids is, "single shots, spaced FAR apart in time."

I have since switched to a mirrorless, SILENT :D

Also the BIG lens can be visually distracting and a logistical issue.
This is where the white/gray Canon lens is at a disadvantage, it attracts attention. Unless covered with a black lens cover.
If used in the seat, you can imagine how far forward the lens will project, into the head of the person in the row in front of you. And thus a concern for the theater people.
As you do, I normally stand in the back or on the side, so the size/length of the lens is not an issue for me.

The local high school hires a photographer to take the concert pics, and he sells them.
So obviously he does not want competition, and they do announce, no photography.
But that does not seem to stop the parents with video cameras.

"No cameras allowed" is a oxymoron, That is unless you are going to ban every cell phone.

Also "no photos allowed" obviously does not apply to grandmother's and their grandkids. (I think that may be in the bible some where. At least that is the contemporary attitude).

And yes, you most likely are disturbing the other parents, no matter how discrete you try to me. About the only thing one can do is hold the disruption to a minimum.

Anyone in 'security' who claims to be able to identify a 'professional photographer' based on their equipment should be charged with impersonating a police officer.

Most reactions

Back