4763709529_9a56a0aba2_b.jpg

4763709135_27d2afe09c_b.jpg

4764346328_bd13364436_b.jpg

4763708283_8db94ca855_b.jpg

4763707913_6462d7cb8b_b.jpg

4764345244_99fd7e57b7_b.jpg

#9 The only Butterfly I've seen that Prays
4763707185_f512924b06_b.jpg

I dont have a Macro Lens so I used what I had on hand. I hope you all like them.

they didnt move at all between exposures?

they didnt move at all between exposures?

Nope I use continious shutter release so all three shots come down.
LOL it's funny everyone always ask me the same thing. Also this is in a controlled sealed enviroment it's a butterfly farm so they mostly fly around and then sit down for a few steady seconds the they fly off again.
Look at this video there are some points in the video where you see them stay steady

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lvVpMTVegw[/ame]

:lol: :scratch:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I am now laughing as well it's a nice video isn't it.

Last edited:
This is interesting. The part about them staying perfectly still I mean. What settings are you using on your camera to capture the bracketed shots? Even if you are using the cameras auto bracketing function I would think there would still be enough movement to distort the final image but I could be wrong. I haven't used the auto bracketing function on my camera yet put you just gave me the motivation to do so. Either way, the shots look fantastic. Beautiful job!

This is interesting. The part about them staying perfectly still I mean. What settings are you using on your camera to capture the bracketed shots? Even if you are using the cameras auto bracketing function I would think there would still be enough movement to distort the final image but I could be wrong. I haven't used the auto bracketing function on my camera yet put you just gave me the motivation to do so. Either way, the shots look fantastic. Beautiful job!

The only difference was the iso I had it set higher for a sharper shot
I also used after processing Noiseware pluggin to remove noise from the image.
I use noiseware for almost all shot's I take. Now get shooting!

fdx9qt.jpg

Thanks for the diagram in explaining this. So just to make sure I get what you did, you just set the camera to AEB with continuous shutter and then manually set the ISO to your desired sensitivity and then threw in a little post-processing to remove any noise. That sound about right for your work flow? Sounds like what I normally do when bracketing except I haven't played with the AEB or continuous shutter much yet. Soon as my arm is back in working order (just had shoulder surgery) I'll start messing around with similar setting on my camera.

Thanks for walking me through your workflow.

Thanks for the diagram in explaining this. So just to make sure I get what you did, you just set the camera to AEB with continuous shutter and then manually set the ISO to your desired sensitivity and then threw in a little post-processing to remove any noise. That sound about right for your work flow? Sounds like what I normally do when bracketing except I haven't played with the AEB or continuous shutter much yet. Soon as my arm is back in working order (just had shoulder surgery) I'll start messing around with similar setting on my camera.

Your welcome anytime that's how it should be all the time helping each other out.

For a great HDR tutorial follow this guide
HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial
He's one of the best HDR photographers around Trey Ratcliff

Your welcome anytime that's how it should be all the time helping each other out.

For a great HDR tutorial follow this guide
HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial
He's one of the best HDR photographers around Trey Ratcliff

Agreed!

I'm not sure I understand the point of shooting these in HDR. The color is nice, but IMO, these are lacking in composition. Perhaps some cropping could help. There is too much space around the insects, and too much going on in the background.

I'm not sure I understand the point of shooting these in HDR. The color is nice, but IMO, these are lacking in composition. Perhaps some cropping could help. There is too much space around the insects, and too much going on in the background.

People question why to shoot anything in HDR just like they questioned why to shoot in color (yes people actually questioned color), why to shoot 35mm in the days of the larger film sizes, why to shoot moving pictures rather then go to the theater (maybe not directly relevant to photography but it illustrates the point), and people still question why to shoot digital instead of film and vice versa. There are both fact-based and philosophical answers to all of those question but the simple answer is that it is a creative tool. Simple as that. Photography is a creative art and if all we had were the people who asked what the point was Im sure we'd all be very disappointed with what we would have left in regard to creative, beautiful, intriguing, and inspiring work. Art is about learning and experimentation and lets not forget that sometimes the things which prove to be most significant and which we learn most from are often the vary things that people didn't see the point of.

Im not trying to be a smarta** but my point is just that the conversation was about an experimentation in HDR technique so lets all try our best to not turn it into another pointless debate over the merits of HDR or why we'd shoot anything in HDR. Shoot what you want to shoot how you want to shoot it and let it be.

People question why to shoot anything in HDR just like they questioned why to shoot in color (yes people actually questioned color), why to shoot 35mm in the days of the larger film sizes, why to shoot moving pictures rather then go to the theater (maybe not directly relevant to photography but it illustrates the point), and people still question why to shoot digital instead of film and vice versa. There are both fact-based and philosophical answers to all of those question but the simple answer is that it is a creative tool. Simple as that. Photography is a creative art and if all we had were the people who asked what the point was Im sure we'd all be very disappointed with what we would have left in regard to creative, beautiful, intriguing, and inspiring work. Art is about learning and experimentation and lets not forget that sometimes the things which prove to be most significant and which we learn most from are often the vary things that people didn't see the point of.

Im not trying to be a smarta** but my point is just that the conversation was about an experimentation in HDR technique so lets all try our best to not turn it into another pointless debate over the merits of HDR or why we'd shoot anything in HDR. Shoot what you want to shoot how you want to shoot it and let it be.

I understand that, and I apologize if my post came off as overly critical. HDR was obviously applied very well to these photos. My point was simply that HDR is merely a technique to improve a photo, not a replacement for other important elements of a photo.

HDR is a technique to produce an image which cant be duplicated EXACTLY any other way. Even when you might think its not needed, it is. And if it werent, so what? The effort was put forth by the OP. When that effort is questioned it makes me wonder who is asking and why. Not anyone interested in learning thats for sure. Try shooting an HDR sometime where you think its absolutely not needed. You will see an improvement over every one of your shots. While you may complain about the composition here you cant dispute the clarity and vibrance of all the images. And that is the benefit of HDR treatment.

Both sides of the argument have been stated (and this certainly isn't the first time) so lets all be the intelligent adults I know most people on this forum are and leave a dead horse alone. We all know that photography comes out of a composite of any number of techniques, none of which outright replaces any other but instead each gives us creative options to do with whatever we creatively see fit in order to both create and learn. I think we can all agree with that.

I'm nipping this in the bud now. Thanks everyone :peacesign:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back