Buying 1 large filter, getting adapters for smaller lenses - good idea? Any IQ loss?

Lens hoods don't inherently improve image quality.

Correction: crappy, free with the lens lens hoods don't inherently improve image quality. On the other hand, an excellent hood/masking system (like the one I use on my Sinar P) will drastically improve detail in the shadow areas, as well as increase overall contrast.

erie

Correction: crappy, free with the lens lens hoods don't inherently improve image quality. On the other hand, an excellent hood/masking system (like the one I use on my Sinar P) will drastically improve detail in the shadow areas, as well as increase overall contrast. erie

Because they are designed for one focal length the hoods supplied with prime lens tend to be ok, though not as good as a bellows type. With zoom lenses the hood has to be designed for the widest angle setting and may not do too good a job at the longest setting, especially with extreme zoom ratios such as 18mm - 200mm. Just another compromise that has to be accepted when using zooms.

I will warn you I hate step rings. Even with a filter wrench I have a few I can not get off lenses. I even broke a kit lens trying to get one off. I didn't over tighten it just the process of putting my uv filter, then the step ring then taking another filter and hood on and off tightened the ring and uv filter really tight over time. I will never use step rings again. I am looking into investing into a cokin system. Well worth the $.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back