Buying a flash on a budget

I have two YN-460ii and I love them. I've used them as slaves in a lot of my shoots and they haven't failed me yet :)

Bitter Jeweler said:
They always come back. :roll:

Omg! Hahaha! I was so confused when that was posted on my thread earlier but I didn't really pay that close attention to it. Just went back and read through that whole exchange....ok, let's make this clear. That was not me!! Lol! Although I'm sure if you all wait long enough I'll embarrass myself in some way. (hopefully not quite that bad)
Now I'm kinda bummed. I thought my user name was cute and catchy, but it's eerily close to hers. :(

Can I suggest you may be better buying a good flash second hand. I collect old camera's and I often see top quality flash guns and most other equipment at camera fair's. Years ago I bought a top of the range Metz flash which I paid nearly £300 I saw one for for just £40 in mint condition at a camera fair. I suggest you look on the Internet and see if there is any genuine camera fairs in your area. Even if you do not get a flash I will be amazed if there's not something there you want.

Bitter Jeweler said:

Omg! Hahaha! I was so confused when that was posted on my thread earlier but I didn't really pay that close attention to it. Just went back and read through that whole exchange....ok, let's make this clear. That was not me!! Lol! Although I'm sure if you all wait long enough I'll embarrass myself in some way. (hopefully not quite that bad)
Now I'm kinda bummed. I thought my user name was cute and catchy, but it's eerily close to hers. :(

Honey, you don't think there is any way we are believing that, do you? You come here with the exact same attitude and choose the same name minus ONE letter? What are the chances of that? I am pretty sure that those with the ability to see more than I will jump in to tell us that profiles were updated today... both of them. It's awfully funny that I used to be able to see the information on the OTHER profile and can't today...

How about some photos? That should tell the tale.

Film66 said:
Can I suggest you may be better buying a good flash second hand. I collect old camera's and I often see top quality flash guns and most other equipment at camera fair's. Years ago I bought a top of the range Metz flash which I paid nearly £300 I saw one for for just £40 in mint condition at a camera fair. I suggest you look on the Internet and see if there is any genuine camera fairs in your area. Even if you do not get a flash I will be amazed if there's not something there you want.

Camera Fairs?! That sounds like something I would love! :) I had been trying to look on amazon for my flash because I have a gift card, so my out of pocket would be almost nothing. But I'm definitely gonna have to see if there are any camera fairs around...like you said, I'll probably find something :)
I'm fairly new to this as a hobby so thanks for tip.

MLeeK said:
Honey, you don't think there is any way we are believing that, do you? You come here with the exact same attitude and choose the same name minus ONE letter? What are the chances of that? I am pretty sure that those with the ability to see more than I will jump in to tell us that profiles were updated today... both of them. It's awfully funny that I used to be able to see the information on the OTHER profile and can't today...

Hmmm...idk what else to tell you. Now I feel like a stalker cuz I've been looking up all her threads. I'm using the iPhone app so can't post pics at the moment but I'll be able to soon. Um, you can look at my Facebook page. No real photography type stuff on there but you could see a pic of me and my son. She posted a pic of herself and her son so you could compare. You can PM me if you want.

Bitter Jeweler said:

*pfft* You're worse than I am. :biglaugh:

I have my moments!

I chose this Yongnuo YN 468 primarily for the price. I consider myself an advanced amateur, but I admit I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. Given that, I couldn't justify to myself dropping the coin for a 430EXII. I used this flash shooting in a dark, mod banquet hall for my wife's cousin's wedding. The flash definitely pulled its weight. Using regular alkaline batteries I took about 100 flash pics and still had some juice left at the end of the night.

Great, just what I needed to hear. :grumpy:

Most reactions

Back