Buying a new tripod, advice please

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm picking up a new tripod. I'd like to stick between $100 and $200, but if there's a really compelling reason to go more expensive I'll consider it. I understand what sayings there are out there about tripods.

Could I get some good insight and information about what I really should be expecting to pay?

The tripod is primarily for photography, and possibly for a bit of videography (but that's really just dabbling for fun because the video button exists on my DSLR).

Hi Paul - I shoot about 50/50 video and stills, and I recommend the Ravelli AVTP Professional (regular price $140, on sale for $120 at Amazon US, as of this post, $258CDN at Amazon Canada, $168CDN for the Fancier branded version at Amazon Canada).

$P1010665.JPG$P1120146.JPG

This tripod is all metal, and built like a tank - with dual handles, "crutch" style legs and a fluid head for smooth video pans and tilts.

The head is mounted in a 75mm "bowl" which allows you to level the camera without fiddling with the legs.

I have one, and it is great value for money.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the Manfrotto 055XProB. It's a great tripod and you can get it in your price range. It's pretty light and portable. Shop around for a quality head though. I prefer ball-heads and you can find some reasonably priced.

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod: Camera & Photo

I started out with this bullhead. It worked great for me. I only upgraded because I needed a bigger one.

Amazon.com: Joby BH2-01EN Ballhead X for Joby Focus Flexible Tripod: Camera & Photo

Joby Gorilla head by Ingerson Photo, on Flickr

Duly taken into consideration. Great pricing. After s&h from the rebranded version that's about $170 which isn't bad at all.

Would you say there's any notable drawbacks going with a video tripod over a photo tripod? I realize they're very similar. The main thing I notice is more bulk... is that about it?

Any other opinions, input, etc?

edit: The Manfrotto 055XProB looks nice. I'm a little confused about the additions (the ballheads) that can be chosen. I understand the purpose somewhat, but it's another purchase choice I'm confused about.

Two vastly different application requiring two vastly different tripods. If I had to choose I'd go with a tripod designed for video and use if for still rather than the other way around.

Most quality tripods come as the legs only. Notice the photo on Amazon. It's just the platform. You need some sort of head to allow you flexibility of movement for framing/leveling your photos.

For your other question, the video tripod shown brunerww has a "pan head" (for smooth panning shooting video) and is quite bulky and not easily portable. It's an option, but you have to decide what your uses will be. It sounds like you will want to go lighter if you are only going to "dabble" in video.

I hope this helps some.

Tripod heads are very much a matter of preference and what you plan to do with them. I personally prefer ball heads most of the time and a geared head for macro. I absolutely detest anything with a handle or handles sticking out because no matter which way I turn them I'm always banging into them. Likewise, I don't want a pistol-grip head although some people really do like them. The bottom line is that you'll have to decide what works for you and not everyone else.

The Ravelli/Fancier is indeed robust, but it is not heavy, nor is it bulky nor a PITA to set up. It is 11 pounds total for the sticks and the head., according to technical details on Amazon US.

I still have a Dolica tripod with a ball head that is lighter, but I don't use it, because, after working with the Ravelli, it seems flimsy.

The $170CDN Ravelli/Fancier is a great still and video tripod, especially for the price. Light enough to carry and robust enough to last a lifetime.

Cheers,

Bill

I recently purchased the Manfrotto 190XB with the 804RC2 pan/tilt head, and I absolutely love it! It's very steady, the head is super smooth, and it's not too heavy to carry around all day. You can also remove the center column and splay the legs out to get about 6 to 7 inches of the ground. I highly recommend it. With shipping I paid about $220 Canadian for it. Here's the link for it Manfrotto 190XB 3 Section Aluminum Tripod with Manfrotto 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head - Amazon.ca My only real gripe with it is that it didn't come with a bag to carry it around, but I went to Broadway Camera and bought a strap for it and it's working perfect.

If i could re-buy my first tripod, i would probably have gotten one made from carbon fiber. Just my two cents.

I love how so many posters make recommendations for people based on THEIR needs. Since that is the case, to the OP here is my recommendation.

First read this: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan Might keep you from falling down the same path so many have before you.

Second: You want a tripod that will support at least twice the weight, (three times the weight would be better) than the heaviest gear you plan on putting on it now and in the future. This is for stability sake. You need to decide on materials. Aluminum is good for stability, and it is the cheapest with decent weight. Composite materials are better for stability, more expensive and lighter than aluminum. Solid hardwood is the most stable, but is expensive and heavy. The fewer the leg sections the more stable the tripod will be. Keep in mind that when you buy a tripod setup you should be buying legs and head separately looking for the best to fit you needs from each. Buy a tripod that is tall enough for normal shooting so you do not have to raise the center column. If you raise the center column you loose stability.

Finally, plan for the future. Instead of setting a budget first and then trying to stay at or under that arbitrary number, figure out what you need now AND IN THE FUTURE and by that. It may mean waiting a while to save the needed cash, but done right and you can have a setup that will last you a lifetime.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I've decided to go with a photo-only tripod. For video I may get a cheap hand-stabilizer on sale, since any time I film it's run-and-gun, walking around, etc. Anything I film on a tripod would be still, not panning -- and if I end up needing that, I'll just get a second tripod specifically for video (I don't foresee that happening).

Long story short, I think I've got enough info here to make an informed decision. I'll come back to post another thread once I've narrowed down my specific model choices & any ball head choices / etc -- specifically to get input on which out of my selection to choose (to avoid any further confusion since I'm getting so much varying advice here... all/most of it is really good though).

G'day Paul,

Tripods are one of those things that you'll keep forever, so it's worth saving until you can afford a good one:)

I've got an aluminium Manfrotto that I've had for at least 20 years, and I'm just thinking about upgrading to carbon now, I figure at about $600 for the legs, if they only last me 10 years that's less than 20 cents per day!. I'll use my old head for a while then think about upgrading that.

My better half doesn't understand it that way, even though she's more than happy to spend a few hundred on Dining out, and put it on the credit card:)

Does anyone have any experience with or, heard anything about these MeFOTO tripods that keep popping up? Namely the "Roadtrip" version.

They seem very appealing for my needs/wants, such as light weight, compact, and versatile (monopod) for a day hiking/walking doing mostly Macro, so stability is important. Would I gain enough from the carbon fiber version to justify the price?

EDIT: I hope this isn't considered high jacking. If so, sorry, my bad.:(

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back