buying a video camera, need some help.

bantor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jrcreations.bravehost.com
So I have decided that I need a videa camera, well not so much need as want. I ahve done a whole bunch of research and decided that I will either get the panasonic PV-GS400 or the panasonic PV-GS250. Now they are both good cameras, but the GS400 costs like 700$-1000$ more. The main difference is the GS400 has slightly better video quality (and I mean very slightly), 1mp better still picture quality, and one more effect called the zebra setting. Thats it.

Now what I am wondering is if I should go ahead and buy the GS250 now, or wait like a year and buy a better camera for the same price, or if I should just spend the 2 grand and get the GS400.

What would you do?

It seems to me that between the two models you've chosen, the biggest benefit of going with the 400 over the 250 is that you gain a little less than 1 more MP with the stills, and you gain another 2x on your zoom, making for a 12x optical over the 10x optical of the 250, which is not a huge difference by any means. Either way you go, you will be plenty satisfied with the video image quality, as they both have 3 CCDs, which is key.

In fact, I noticed that the less expensive model is able to go 1 lux lower, which is good for when you're in dark environments to be able to pick up more light.

As far as the 400 being $700 more in price, I don't see that. I see about a $200 difference on www.bhphoto.com, although I know you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. Nevertheless, I don't see too many features that would justify paying for the higher-priced model in my opinion.

Also, in reference the zebra setting: Unless you're making money with what you're shooting, you won't use this very often. It's not an effect, but more of a guide to help you keep those blown-out highlights in check. It will show you a "zebra" pattern in your viewfinder/LCD monitor to indicate what parts of the image are blown out, but serves no other purpose beyond that.
I would say save your money and go with the 250.

Thanks Kent Frost. Also what I am concerned about is how fast technology os going. I am worried that I will spend the 1000$ (can) and then in like 6 months there will be a camera better for the same price. I am not sure weather just to go ahead and buy it now, or just wait.

The river always keeps flowing whether you want it to or not. If you're gonna swim in it, you have to jump in eventually. No matter what model you choose, or how advanced it is, there will ALWAYS be something new and improved to come out. Can't avoid it unfortunately; just like computers. What I wish they would do (and I know they can, there's almost nothing they can't do), is to make upgradeable video and photo cameras. They don't do it because they wouldn't make as much money.

You know that is a remarkably good idea, upgradable cameras.

I found that even new computers are starting to become somewhat more difficult to upgrade. I mean you can, but it is not as easy as it used to be. Like my computer came with its maximum alotable proccesor. Oh well, the money hunger mongers will do what they do.

You have a valid point witht the river analogy, thanks for the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back