Buying advice

laam999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm soon going to be upgrading my equptment, I'm looking for advice on whats best for me to buy.

I would like a new walk about lens, but I'm not sure what would be best for me, ATM I have the 18-55mm Canon kit lens and I have had loads of points where I have become angered by its lack of quality.

As an upgrade for this lens I am considering both the 17-55mm F2.8 and the 17-85mm f/3.5-5.6. I know both of these lenes produce a higher quality than my current kit lens. The constant f2.8 is a huge factor for me as I use a low DOF and shoot in low light quite often.

The main reserve I have with either of these lenses is that they can't be mounted on FF cams, (when I upgrade the actual cam I think I will look at the 5DmkII and the 60D (when it comes out)). Since a decent lens that is not an EF-S mount cos so much I dont think that will be an option yet.

The other thing I'm thinking about is a flash gun, I am loking at the EX580II, because as I said I often shoot in low light or indoors and the shadows produced by my pop up flash annoy me so much, I have tried various methods to soften the light but feel it will be easyer to soften or bounce light from a flash gun.

I would just like general advice on what people think is most important and why, and what they got 1st etc.

Thanks, and sorry if this was a boring subject.

I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I can't offer any real advice, but since I want this same question answered, I'll throw a response in here.

I have the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and am very pleased with it, it's very fast lens. The constant 2.8 is a huge advantage for indoor shooting and the 3 stop IS further improves this! You may not even need a flash with this lens. It's tack-sharp and creates no detectable vignetting and is also sharp around the edges. Also if you get the 60D it will provide you with peripheral illumination correction specific to the lens your using (if it's canon EF-S).
However.....there's always a however......It's expensive and for the price you're paying you would at least expect a lens hood and case, but you have to get those seperatly (who really needs a lens case anyway). The hood however is useful and you may want one if you want to avoid flares on sunny days.... Those too are expensive, if you get the canon original EW-83J ( you can alaways get the LH-83j which is half the price;)). Its also quite heavy but I personally like that, and large but i like that too (bit of a size queen). As you said this lens isn't compatible with full-frame cameras and if you plan on getting the 5D I would consider some of the L-series lenses, otherwise if you end up getting the 60D this one is great.
This lens could easily be an L series, the only things its missing are the build quality (not bad but plastic) and the little red ring.
It may hurt your wallet but i think the 17-55mm would be an excelent choice, I've been very happy with mine.

If you are truely upgrading, why not upgrade and not just step up. Especially if you plan on going to FF in the future. I know the really good lenses are expensive. But are you saving any money by buying a mid level lens when in the future you may not be able to use it. Of course you can always sell the items, but you will loose money on it. If you can afford a good lens now. I suggest you skip the middle lenses and get good ones. Now if you don't have the money for the good ones. Is a medium one going to make that much of a difference in your photo's right now?

I started out with the cheaper nikon branded lenses with the first SLR I bought years ago. When it was time to upgrade, I did a full upgrade and bought the best lenses at the time. After 10 years now the lenses are still very good lenses and work just fine with the newest DSLR's.

well, you can probably find a 17-40L 4.0 for about 650 (or less if you don't mind buying used) you can also find a 24-70L 2.8 for about 1000 or 1100. There if you were willing to go older and get the 28-70L 2.8 that would be a few hundred dollars cheaper.

I'm pretty sure that 17-55 2.8 IS is about 950 or 1000 dollars so the difference in price isn't all that much. Besides, if you do get the 17-55 2.8 and you take good care of it you could always sell it when you upgraded and get the other lens. The benefit of doing this is that lenses tend to keep their value pretty well.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think my original idea of getting the 17-55mm f2.8 was right, since it is such a fast lens i will have to use my flash less, and if I do end up going full frame one day this will be a great lens to keep on my current cam as a backup should anything bad happen.

Thanks for all the responces guys.

BTilson I hope you got some good advice too ^_^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back