Buying internationally

Cheesyman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey people, im looking at getting a EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS USM lens and i have worked out it is cheaper to buy from america and have the lens sent to me. Now this may sound stupid to most people, but it's my ignorance but I am wondering if i was to buy this lens from america would it work on my body in the uk? i am sure it would but i thought i would ask this before taking the leap, cheers :D

You better check the terms of the warranty too. I think Canon USA will not always honor the warranty on Canon lenses meant for market elsewhere. I don't know if it works the other way 'round.

that's what i thought but just wanted to double check haha and roughly i would save £550, which is a hell of a lot to a student. Guess i would need to find out the import duty on the lens

cheers icassell that's something i will need to look into as well

that's what i thought but just wanted to double check haha and roughly i would save £550, which is a hell of a lot to a student. Guess i would need to find out the import duty on the lens

sadly mate, i think so. this is the HMRC page you maybe need - the server seems offline at the moment..probably due to a denial-of-service attack by frugal yet curious Canon owners ;-)

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_000230&propertyType=document

ICassell's caution about the warranty is seriously worth clarifying in advance.

One other thing to look into is where are you buying it in the USA. what site were you looking at for the price?

cheers matfoster will check out that link when it is back online :)

and speedtrap, i was looking at amazon usa as that was the link next to the price, but looking into it the 3rd party seller doesn't sell out the country. So think i will end up just buying in this country saving me the hassle of having no warrenty and paying import charges and such. Will just search ebay and other sites for a good price for the lens

psssst order through Kerso if you are going to go down the importing rout. It's far simpler and easier and you do get the international warrenty which canon do support.

Your other option for importing is Hong Kong retailers - of which there are many and a lot of scams - however One Stop Digital area good site to go through
Welcome - Onestop Digital
note that if you go through them you might end up having to pay import costs on the item - however keep the recipt for that and they will refund you the import cost. More details about that on their website

Most reactions

New Topics

Back