Buying Lenses

cardonalj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the last couple of days, I've been looking at adding to the lens I already have. So far I've come up with Canon EF 70-200 f/4L and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Can anyone that used these lenses give any advice? I want to get a Telephoto lens and I heard the 50mm f/1.8 is a reliable lens, tho I heard the latter is built "cheaply." If that was the case, should I go with the 50mm f/1.4? As you can see from my sifnature, I currently use a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. Would the other two lenses complement the existing one?

for the price the 50mm 1.8f (nifty fifty) just cant be beat....then the 70-200 f4l lens also is a great lens....however in any lens choice what you will be shooting had a big influence too might be overkill might not be who know why you want these? im guessing since you tossed the 70-200 lens out there that you arent to worried about price

For the last couple of days, I've been looking at adding to the lens I already have. So far I've come up with Canon EF 70-200 f/4L.
Which one? With or without IS?
and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Can anyone that used these lenses give any advice? I want to get a Telephoto lens and I heard the 50mm f/1.8 is a reliable lens, tho I heard the latter is built "cheaply."
Yes, it's built cheap. It's mostly plastic and doesn't have the best build quality. It's been known to fall apart when bumped a certain way, but you can reassemble it easily.
If that was the case, should I go with the 50mm f/1.4?
I would. I have the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and wish I held out to get the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (which I'll be getting soon). The f/1.8 tends to hunt for focus a lot and makes a unnerving banging sound as the focus motor moves the lens elements back and forth trying to get focus. It does take sharp pictures but the bokeh is much nicer/smoother with the f/1.4 USM.
As you can see from my sifnature, I currently use a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. Would the other two lenses complement the existing one?
You need something wider to complement what you already have...at least 18mm or shorter. Not sure how much you'd want to spend so can't make any recommendations.

Sam, I think I was looking at the one without IS. Its relatively cheap (600 I believe) for a L series lens. I'm prety muchs sold on the 50mm f/1.4 from the reviews I've read.

As for "something wider to compliment what I have" what exactly do you mean by I shoudl go shorter?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back