Buying Nikkon 80-200mm AF-D Push/Pull vs Nikkor 55-200mm VR

I'd buy the 80 over the 55 in a heartbeat.

Aside from that I think I will definitely consider the AF-D Push/Pull for my D7100, I think for now, that lens is the best bang for the buck.

For those that use this lens, I'm told that the lens is slow to focus, but how is it when prefocused?

If you are focused then the shutter is in the body, so theres no problems
When I use my 2 ring in sports I follow the action and do half presses to keep focus tight and fast. Then shoot / full release press when i need it. i've had no problems. I do that too with my 75-300 af push pull and it works pretty good.

I just looked this up: AF Zoom~NIKKOR 80-200/2.8 ED: 16 elements/11 groups, 3 ED elements., 2 lbs 10.3 oz-NO TRIPOD ring, ONE ring design.

2-Intro in 1992: the AF-D NIKKOR model of the 80-200/2.8ED: different limiter switch, 3.5 oz heavier.

3-AF-D NIKKOR 80-200 "two ring". Introduced Photkina 1996. NEW is an L-shaped tripod mount. 16 element design, new limiter switch design.

4-AF-S Zoom~NIKKOR 80200 f/2.8: Introduced at Photokina 1998: 3lb 2.8 oz without tripod bracket. Silent Wave focus motor focuses almost instantly;three "Focus Lock Buttons" on the lens barrel. NEW 18-element in 14 group optical design features Five ED-glass elements. Aperture diaphragm is now rounded, with 9 blades, for better out of focus rendering. Build includes aluminum casing and carbon fibre materials; this lens is compatible with Nikon's TC14e, TC17e, and TC20e AF-S type converters.

So from those stats the afs version should be a little better optically, but sure couldn't detect a difference.

One thing for sure you will get more CA than you get with a new vr2 lens.

So from those stats the afs version should be a little better optically, but sure couldn't detect a difference.

and you would spend alot more for the vr2 version than an older model too, which seems to be a major concern to the OP

djacobox said:

It's been a looooong time since I owned the 80-200 AF one-ring models; back when I had a Nikon D1, a 2.7MP camera!!! I bought a clean 80-200 AF-S late last month and have only shot it a bit, but it seems to be a decent lens. I really was NOT all "that impressed" by the 80-200 one-ring versus the 70-200 VR, but that was back on the Fuji S2 Pro, 6MP aka "12 megapixel Fuji sensor" system, which kind of made "the jaggies" occur on a lot of stuff...so it has been ten years and MORE since I regularly shot the 80-200 one-ring...and cameras then were LOW-resolution!!!

I'm honestly not so convinced that the 80-200 one-ring is the optical 'superior' of the new 70-300 AF-S VR-G lens... but the 55-200VR is, based on my own experiences with that lens on the D40, NOT that good of a lens in terms of focusing...but then again, the D40 had weak focusing...I dunno...I think it depends on the sensor. With a 24MP crop-sensor, I really have my doubts that the older, 1990's lenses are all that. But then again...shooting for the web or 5x7 prints or even 8x10 or 8x12 inch printed images? Lens doesn't matter much at those sizes, just crank the sharpening up and print...can't tell superb from very good lenses much of the time. If it's sent to Facebook, well, what the heck...who cares what the lens is.

If I had all three lenses on hand, I'd compare them this weekend!!! But, I don't. Shooting for the web and small prints, lens quality is all pretty decent.

I don't actually know a whole lot about any of the 80-200's, and I agree the 70-300 VR is a quality lens. BUT f/2.8 vs f/5.6 is a huge advantage.

I used my 75-300 AF Push-pull lens which is the same generation lens, and it focuses nicely as long as you don't wait for the photo opportunity to do an immediate focus.

ie, when shooting flying airplanes or kids soccer, I always do half releases to follow the action.
If you wait to shoot as the action moves along, then the lens is slow to focus on a long focus. If you keep the focusing short, there's no issues for fast moving objects that I've come across yet. This airplane I followed in from 1/2 mile out and did half releases - focusing, then took a few shots as it got closer, banked, then leveled out right here. I was mostly taking pics of an old Sikorsky H-34 in the distance.

I tried a PushPull 80-200/2.8 and it had the same nuances as my 75-300 from what I recall, except much better in low light. But I bought the newer model twin ring AFD.
$AirplaneA-1.jpg
ABOVE - uncropped
$AirplaneB-1.jpg
ABOVE - cropped for detail
$AirplaneC-1.jpg
ABOVE - cropped even more

The original photo I believe was shot as a JPEG, Fine Medium on a d7000

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back