Buying Nikon Lenses on Amazon.......

gfp517

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was thinking about ordering a couple of Nikon lenses from Amazon.......better prices than from Nikon........anyone have any experience doing this? Would appreciate any feedback.....thx, Gary

I know of many, many people who order from Amazon. I have. I ordered my Sigma 10-20mm from there. Generally fast shipping too. You do have to watch, though, becuase sometimes what you think youre getting from Amazon is actually going through amazon from a different seller. Most of the time, these sellers are reputable..they are being used on amazon, after all.. Id say go for it. But, as always, if you buy used..be wary.

Mark

Amazon is fine. I've ordered most of my high end equipment from them.

Nothing wrong with Amazon. But if you're new to researching for camera gear specifically , the two big dogs in the on-line fight are Adorama and B&H.

Never had an issue ordering from Amazon.

Nothing wrong with Amazon. But if you're new to researching for camera gear specifically , the two big dogs in the on-line fight are Adorama and B&H.

Dogs?! :confused::???:

It was a term of endearment. You know we love 'ya Helen. :sexywink:

There are 3 kinds of seller on Amazon:
  1. Amazon.com (or amazon does the order fulfilment)
  2. Retail outlets
  3. private sellers.
I have bought new, and used from all 3 with no problems, however as always - Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) applies.

Most of the retail outlets can be checked out at resellerratings.com.

I am a Prime member (free 2 day shipping) of Amazon, so I buy lots of stuff from Amazon, more other stuff than camera gear but I have bought lenses from them.

It is not Amazon I worry about with lenses it is the carrier, ups/fedex.
Old story but the carriers don't care if you have a $5000 lens in the box, it's still tossed around like a it's a boxed basketball.
Adorama and B & h use the same carriers, so good luck and open the box in front of the driver if the box appears damaged, so you can refuse it and he can take it back if it is .

Was thinking about ordering a couple of Nikon lenses from Amazon.......better prices than from Nikon........anyone have any experience doing this? Would appreciate any feedback.....thx, Gary

Thanks for all the replies.......

I am a Prime member (free 2 day shipping) of Amazon, so I buy lots of stuff from Amazon, more other stuff than camera gear but I have bought lenses from them.

It is not Amazon I worry about with lenses it is the carrier, ups/fedex.
Old story but the carriers don't care if you have a $5000 lens in the box, it's still tossed around like a it's a boxed basketball.
Adorama and B & h use the same carriers, so good luck and open the box in front of the driver if the box appears damaged, so you can refuse it and he can take it back if it is .

Alright, the courrier companies don't care what's in the box that's true. BUT, a big but right there, if the lens is packed properly like it should be. That thing won't get bounced around either and will arrive in one pice.

I always pack everything myself (my parents own a UPS store.) so therefore I know it willa rrive safe and sound. For example we have somebody come in with a shakey box of china. They ask to ship it from Chilliwack (Vancouver, Canada region) to Idaho. Not that far. I ask them yeah sure no problem, did you pack it yourself? Yes they did, I asked if they wanted me to re- package it or if they are positive that its packed right. Nope they said it was fine. So ofcourse I asked if I could dropt he box, she said NOOOOOOOOOO don't do that. Everything was packed good wasn't it?

My point being, Pack your **** right. That' the only issue. They don't treat everything with care ofcourse not that would take way too much time. They want the package in and out as fast as possible therefore more business. UPS is a great Courrier.

My point being, Pack your **** right. That' the only issue. They don't treat everything with care ofcourse not that would take way too much time. They want the package in and out as fast as possible therefore more business. UPS is a great Courrier.

You are right on all counts.
I like ups too,
except for the part where they caved to the unions a while back, and the unions are now strong arming the Democrats to pass a law so fedex will have to cave to the unions also.
oops sorry, no politics.

Anyway, I am receiving stuff by ups/fedex, so I don't get a say in packaging.

My 17-55mm f2.8 Nikon arrived ups, signature required, and the outside box was bent from compression, likely a drop.
I made ups wait while I opened the box and the nikon box was slightly bent also, but it didn't rattle.
Amazon does a poor packing job, mostly.

So, after making him wait I signed anyway, since all the sellers have good return policies.

I took photos before opening the nikon box.

In the end my lens was good to go since nikon designs and packs their lens boxes so well.

So there is your main point. lol.
But my point is as above..
I don't get a say in packing when I make a purchase.

On the other side, Wednesday I received a new 70-200mm f2.8 nikon vr2 from amazon and the box looked untouched, so,
you pay your money and you take your chances.
(or something like that)

I ordered the Nikon 80mm-200mm f/2.8D AF from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. No issues....the lens arrived in perfect condition.

Going out tomorrow to take some pics and try it out. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back