Buying old film cameras (Used or New in Box)?

Seth Baldwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I will be purchasing an RZ67 Pro ii Medium Format camera soon, now by no means is this camera "old old" but it certainly has been out of production for some time now. I recently read a thread on photo.net about the risk of purchasing old film cameras left in original packaging (untouched). They state, no use over a long period of time can run the risk of the camera being non operational due to lack of lubrication.

If this is true would it be smartest to purchase a used model, or does this not apply to the RZ67?

Hopefully someone can educate me here

Cheers.

I can't see any reason why the RZ67 would be any different.
Mechanical parts should be exercised occasionally. Of course there are other issues with heavily used cameras...

I've nearly always gone for used models with my cameras, the only exceptions being VERY cheap toy models.

I suppose then it'd be smartest to go for something used but over a shorter period of time.

The things that you need to be aware of:
Electrical components will degrade over time with or without use.
Same with Mech. items.
The seals and rubber will prob. be dry or near dry. (Wont be supple) and light seals may be sticky.
It doesn't hurt to give it a once over.
as for the lube. Most lubes in cameras are made up of diff. compounds, each of which may degrade over time. (Especially in warm climates). And become near wax like.

Giving the camera the once over would not be a bad idea. But otherwise I would say good find.

Consider who is selling the camera. A reputable dealer like KEH, Roberts Camera, etc. will not only tell you the condition but may also provide a limited warranty. While there are scam artists out there, they are rare. Most private sellers don't have the knowledge or the means to carefully evaluate a camera's condition. That just means it's more of a crap shoot.

The RZ is a highly rugged camera (I have and use an older RB), so you have a good chance of getting a good specimen. Having said that, see who is nearby that can do a CLA, if needed.

Good Luck.

How much of a price differential are you looking at?

If it is truly NiB, budget for a CLA to clean out the old dried grease/lube and relube.
And replace any aged rubber seals.

NiB or NOS New, in box, or New Old Stock...either one often commands a significant price premium on long-discontinued gear...

I’d be far more concerned if it was a NOS mechanical RB series camera whose foam gasket on the body-film back mounting surface will deteriorate. Most of those cameras’ mechanical bits are accessible through a removable bottom plate if there are lube issues. But RZs are electronic and involve component assemblies that could be hard to get if they fail.That said, you might also look around to see who can actually service Mamiya in you area. Those restorative CLAs aren’t easy to get in 2019.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back