Buying used

atthis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Would love your opinion on whether to buy a nikon d300 used. What do you look for when buying a used camera? Thanks

I just picked up a D80 used next to nothing as a throw-around back-up.

I look for all the obvious, plus I take my laptop and shoot/PP a few pics. One of pics being the sky at f22 (so i can look for dirty image sensor and if so and i still want the cam I can make a big deal of it and bargain down accordingly)

I buy used whenever I can; it's a great way to save money and get gear that you might not otherwise be able to afford. When buying a used body, the first thing to do is download a copy of the manual and familiarize yourself with the basic layout and controls if you're not already. Know how to turn it on and off, mount & remove lenses, change shooting modes, access the menus, display images on the rear LCD, etc. As well, contact the seller and ask for the bodie's serial number. Check with your local police and make sure it doesn't show up as stolen property. If the seller won't provide you the s/n, be very, very cautious (as in: Walk away).

When you go, bring along a lens and a memory card and ask the seller in advance to ensure that the battery is charged. The first thing to do is look carefully at the camera body. What sort of condition is it in? A bit of rubbing here and there is no big deal if the price reflects it. Cracks and dents however (esp. on corners) are something else altogether. Ask the seller about any of these. Check all of the controls, make sure that they move and do what they're supposed to. If any of the buttons or switches don't seem to function or don't feel right, again, question the seller, and be prepared to walk away.

Once you've completed a thorough external examination and button-check, then remove the lens and look into the mirror chamber. Trip the shutter once or twice to make sure that everything works nicely and that the mirror snaps up and down the way it should.

Mount the lens and take a few test shots, and, as mentioned, shoot a couple at min aperture to check for sensor dust. This isn't a deal breaker, but it can be a bargaining chip, and if you have a laptop, bring that so that you can look at the images at a decent size and check for hot pixels.

Make sure the camera has all of it's 'stuff' - battery charger, cables, cords, manuals, cases, etc. If it doesn't, be concerned. This may well indicate someone who wasn't careful with their toys. Ask the seller for the history of the camera; how long he's had it, what he's done with it, and why he's selling it.

If the controls work, it doens't show up on a hot sheet, the pictures look good, and you're happy with the seller (no 'bad vibes') then it's probably okay to buy. If you get any sort of concern though, walk away. There will be another deal along tomorrow.

Buying used has allowed me to buy all the gear i have. The only things i buy new are the ones i CAN'T find used. Just make sure it's from a reputable dealer (keh, adorama, etc).

Most reactions

Back