What's new

equipment for movie stills.

AnaBo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Mexico
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I am considering accepting to shoot some movie stills but have heard that you need a special sound cancelling or reducing camera case. what is the correct name for it because I have not found it, is it absolutely necessary and do you have any experience using anything like it?
thanks.
 
They are called sound blimps or camera muzzles. You may not need one if you are shooting between takes - let the director or AD tell you when you can shoot without affecting the recorded sound or distracting the actors. Promo stills are often set up separately.

Best,
Helen
 
They are called sound blimps or camera muzzles. You may not need one if you are shooting between takes - let the director or AD tell you when you can shoot without affecting the recorded sound or distracting the actors. Promo stills are often set up separately.


Thank you very much Helen. :D
 
For movie cameras they are called a camera "barney", not sure if that term is used for SLRs though...
 
Promo stills are often set up separately.

Whilst often true, it isn't always. If they are shooting a scene that has cost a lot to setup / used a lot of shooting time they will often have a stills photographer shooting at the same time to create promo images. Especially if its not something they can recreate.

If your going to get involved in Movie stills, get a sound blimp!
 
Usage may differ, but I know a 'Barney' as more of a sound blanket than a 'blimp' - which is a proper soundproof case. A Barney doesn't have the same level of attenuation that a blimp offers. For example, back when I had an Aaton XTR Prod I had a Barney to remove the slight sound it made if I was using it on a quiet set. The Barney was just a heavy leather jacket lined with blanket material.

Best,
Helen
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom