BW Filter reflections....thought it should be green? AND Sony Q Control problem?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, sorry for the stupid post, I know many do not recommend using UV filters, but for a number of reasons my experience currently suggest it is best for me. Particularly when my wife tosses the camera in her purse...anyway:

Question 1) B+W 010 UV MRC fitler. When holding the filter in my hands and placing it under a lamp or making it reflect light, I thought the reflection should be green, or a dark color due to the multi-coating. However, the reflection is white and looks natural. Is this how your BW reflects light? I bought it from the actual amazon store, not a separate seller, so I have a hard time thinking it is fake, but I expected a greenish reflection when holding it up to light?

Of note, my polariod MC does the exact same, also purchased on amazon.

Question 2) While testing for flares I did not see any change. However, there was a flare that appeared three times under three different shots. The three shots occurred about 10 seconds apart each and were each in slightly different positions, though in general maintained the same angle to the sun. When zooming in the flare disappeared. The flare appears to change positions, but was in the same XY coordinate on each photograph. However, I understood flares to be more random than this. Is this a normal flare, or should I be concerned about Sonys Quality Control in regards to this particular lens? (The change in lighting is because the first two shots were held slightly higher, thus the camera adjusted lighting for the sky rather than making the scene brighter, as seen in the third which resulted in a blown out sky.)

flare by bmglen, on Flickr

That amount of flare isn't all that bad...I have seen MUCH worse. Looks like the sun is causing a single spot of flare. You said, "when zooming in" the flare disappears; if by zooming in you mean in the field, that could easily be because the flare is being caused by one of the more-forward INTERNAL elements, which do tend to move forward and backward inside the barrel as the zoom is actuated.

Most reactions

Back