xBbaSd0.jpg

nyUQhPW.jpg

x5eSGcR.jpg

CQfknKA.jpg

AKBGlI8.jpg

**edit**
Added numbers.

Last edited:
Way too many pics to receive any kind of effective C&C. To be honest, as a group I don't think any of the pics is great but there is also an overwhelming amount of images to concentrate on. Reduce it down to 2 or 3 of the best you like and a more thorough C&C can be given. I think the majority of the community would probably agree.

These made me LOL. He is definitely a funny guy.. I agree, backgrounds are kinda all over the place there.. and the light feels harsh to me? Something tells me he's more attractive than these photos portray. The lighting really accentuates on skin imperfections or something..

Give him a funny prop. Do you have access to a rubber chicken?

The only backgrounds that are not a distracting mess are the first couple. I kind of like the curved line on the wall, but watch its placement - it's not well placed in all of them.

The red shirt is a bit much, but you can desaturate it in post if you must.

The light is a little low for traditional portraits, I think, but it DOES give a kind of slightly dramatic slightly stage-y look, which might be what he's looking for.

I think he should look through these and settle on a smaller set of expressions he'd like to try, and hairstyles. Use this set to focus in on what he wants from HIMSELF. They stick him in front of the wall, with the curved line well-placed in the frame (second photo) OR eliminated entirely, and have him go through what he's selected. Try it with the lights where they were, and then again with the lights up a bit.

Watch the shoulders. You may want to shoot a little looser or a little tighter, I'm not liking the way his shoulders are always in/out/kinda of the frame.

Yes, definitely, a reshoot is in order. After my first look, I thought to myself "Man, the guy looks like a total goofball in these...hmmmm..."

The red V-ncek too...oh man, that shirt is just not helping either. With his pale skin and the odd lighting, the shirt, and the skin that shows at the sleeves and neck,especially the neck area, draws the eye away from his face. Unless the background is competing for attention, then that stands out nicely. The last frame has the most interesting lighting pattern, I think, with a strong shadow on the off side, and a good white balance that has given good skin color. Compare the last frame to the second to last shot, where his skin coloration is a bit too pinkish. Raising the main light (or key light as many call it) would help too...that mid-eyeball-level catchlight looks unflattering, as so does the lighting that a mid-eyeball-lveel catchlight creates...

Way too many pics to receive any kind of effective C&C. To be honest, as a group I don't think any of the pics is great but there is also an overwhelming amount of images to concentrate on. Reduce it down to 2 or 3 of the best you like and a more thorough C&C can be given. I think the majority of the community would probably agree.
I just posted the batch.
Raise the light source.
light was slightly above his head. I didn't want to raise it too much and make a huge shadow under his chin.
Background, background, background!
too busy?
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many photos.

What I can say is, reshoot. Unless you got some where he's just smiling and not looking like he has multiple personality disorder. Just because he's a stand up comic doesn't mean he has to look like a tuna in front of the camera.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...9,d.dmQ&fp=6ec36acbfdc1597d&biw=1920&bih=1081
Reshooting is not a problem. I did this for free just to practice. I just recently shot a person for the first time and this was my first time doing headshots. I hope to get better.
These made me LOL. He is definitely a funny guy.. I agree, backgrounds are kinda all over the place there.. and the light feels harsh to me? Something tells me he's more attractive than these photos portray. The lighting really accentuates on skin imperfections or something..
Like I need a larger light source? This was shot with a 24x24" softbox via a speed light.
Give him a funny prop. Do you have access to a rubber chicken?
I'm sure We could get one.
The only backgrounds that are not a distracting mess are the first couple. I kind of like the curved line on the wall, but watch its placement - it's not well placed in all of them.

The red shirt is a bit much, but you can desaturate it in post if you must.

The light is a little low for traditional portraits, I think, but it DOES give a kind of slightly dramatic slightly stage-y look, which might be what he's looking for.

I think he should look through these and settle on a smaller set of expressions he'd like to try, and hairstyles. Use this set to focus in on what he wants from HIMSELF. They stick him in front of the wall, with the curved line well-placed in the frame (second photo) OR eliminated entirely, and have him go through what he's selected. Try it with the lights where they were, and then again with the lights up a bit.

Watch the shoulders. You may want to shoot a little looser or a little tighter, I'm not liking the way his shoulders are always in/out/kinda of the frame.
So you think I should use a simpler background next time?

I agree with the shirt I'm going to see how it looks desaturated slightly.

I think next time I'm going to try my prime 35mm around f2 or so. I'm on a cropped senor so it would be more like a 50mm.

Again thanks for all the input guys. I hope to look back at these threads and see improvement with time.

19 is the best for me. The most cohesive all around. Crop could stand to be a little more face a little less shirt.

Too many...you know that already, yes?
His clothing, Red ... enough said

The background isn't bad...it's distracting as all heck! You got some arch shape and different light (sky, foliage) and I want to push him out of the way to see what it is...not good when your intent is to keep my focus on him.
Light, he's looking a bit harsh, what was your setup, bare flash off camera?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back