c and c on spooky candle

hayleyfraser24

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
hayleyfraserphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
its my day off work today and really wanted to go out and get some shots at a nearby castle but im waiting on the heavy cloud and rain to clear a bit so ive playing around indoors! Did I succeed in creating a "Spooky" image?... maybe its a bit boring? as always C and C greatly appreciated!:)

1 candlelight
DSC04639_40_41_tonemapped.jpg

The hard edged shadow of the candle on the wall really hurts the photo IMO, though the light looked to be about the right height.

The candle was to close to the wall, and the light source was of to small an apparent size, hence the hard shadow edges.

I get no sense of 'spooky', but do get a sense that the photo is over processed.

Thanks kmh, I think that I actually like the shadow on the wall though... any tips on what I could put into this picture to make it more interesting if I tried again? Im in a freindly hdr competition with my older brother... thats our theme this week, we hand in 3 pictures on sunday. The hdr is probably why the picture looks too over processed aswell, I can tone that down though.. I think the picture looks a bit boring, id love some advice on what to do creativly? I like the stone wall and lighting but I really think it needs something else.... im off to a castle for my second pic... will be posting it later for more advice! Thanks for any help... I want to beat my brother!:)

I agree with KMH on the shadow... I think the wall looks like it's being lit by the candle until the shadow destroys that illusion and let's me know the room is actually well lit (and not spooky). Use a larger light source and lower power to get rid of the shadow (and balance it better with the ambient from the flame) if you'd like. It also doesn't make sense to me to not show the candle base.

As for the processing, it looks straight out of scooby doo to me! (SPOOKY) :)

any tips on what I could put into this picture to make it more interesting if I tried again?
:scratch: Uh...Yes.

Move the candle away from the wall, use an apparently larger light source, and go a bit more gentle on the post processing.

The candle was to close to the wall, and the light source was of to small an apparent size, hence the hard shadow edges.....the photo is over processed

any tips on what I could put into this picture to make it more interesting if I tried again?
:scratch: Uh...Yes.

Move the candle away from the wall, use an apparently larger light source, and go a bit more gentle on the post processing.

The candle was to close to the wall, and the light source was of to small an apparent size, hence the hard shadow edges.....the photo is over processed

I will try that Kmh I was listening to you and as always appreciate your advice,... I was meaning should something other than the candle be in the picture, is it boring just to have a picture of a candle next to a wall, when I meant creative I was trying to think of what would make it look more "spooky"... I dont know... I guess a ghost would help! :):) I will post second attempt tommorow :)

No...the hard edge should stay...it adds to the feeling of the photo...pffft...everything has to have soft edge shadows or what? this one obviously isn't titled "Sensual Candle"...its called "Spooky Candle" and I find the hard edge shadow is more in line with the feeling the OP was going after...

I think the wall looks like it's being lit by the candle until the shadow destroys that illusion and let's me know the room is actually well lit (and not spooky).
I fully agree.

I see what you are saying about the shadow... but I thought it looked good because the shadow seems to disapear towards the top, Maybe ive been looking at this too much... or ive had too much wine!:)

I'm definitely in the "keep the hard edged shadow" camp. It looks good, and adds to the theme you're after. If I were to offer any suggestions, it would be to include some dripping wax for more effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back