C&C -A Bridge In The Works

Nolan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you have any opinions or critiques I'd love to here them.

1)
4503091561_9099a9dd4b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 800

2)
4503078749_495780d074.jpg

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 40 mm
ISO Speed: 200

3)
4503075325_909ffd88d3.jpg

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/11.0
Focal Length: 18 mm

No highlights in any of the photos. Maybe zoom in into something? But don't listen to me, I'm a complete noob myself. :D

Well, you were obviously able to get pretty close. I think you should have gotten much closer in some circumstances.

I think there is one issue that I think of when looking at these. Since I'm no pro I can only get some thought started.

The issue is "filling the frame" vs. "presenting the whole picture."

In the first shot, those steps (up the side of the column) have an interesting shape. I'd really get in there, and get some shallower depth of field. f3.5 gives some kinda cool DOF. "The whole picture" isn't really appropriate here, it's kinda boring. I think the effect you were going for would be better served by getting closer and lower maybe?

Kudos for going for repetition in the second shot. But, it comes off looking centered, bad light, boring sky, no contrast...

The third shot is my favorite because of the exposure. Compositionally, though, it still doesn't do much for me. And, I don't know what to say.

Anybody else?

Well, you were obviously able to get pretty close. I think you should have gotten much closer in some circumstances.

I think there is one issue that I think of when looking at these. Since I'm no pro I can only get some thought started.

The issue is "filling the frame" vs. "presenting the whole picture."

In the first shot, those steps (up the side of the column) have an interesting shape. I'd really get in there, and get some shallower depth of field. f3.5 gives some kinda cool DOF. "The whole picture" isn't really appropriate here, it's kinda boring. I think the effect you were going for would be better served by getting closer and lower maybe?

Kudos for going for repetition in the second shot. But, it comes off looking centered, bad light, boring sky, no contrast...

The third shot is my favorite because of the exposure. Compositionally, though, it still doesn't do much for me. And, I don't know what to say.

Anybody else?

Thanks for the input. Next time i go out with my d90 i'll give what you said a try.

I like the subject, but the pictures just look like some snap shots from the contractor. The great thing about a DSLR is the you can take a LOT of pictures. Get in there a take some from stupid angles.

Fill the frame!!!

Nikon D90 | AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 G ED VR
I SUPORT THE PACT

SUPPORT

Sorry. I did not see it. I am not too great at spelling. My daughter said something.

I got ur back.

I think the third pic is an interesting pic, especially if you are into architecture or similar concepts. It looks like you boosted the saturation a bit? The second pic is pretty void of anything eye-catching. The first one almost approached 'interesting' but your distance and angle is not helping your shot. Like one of the other posters said, you should get in there and take some perspective shots. I wonder if you could have climbed those stairs?

Stand really close and look up.
BAM u got yourself an amazing shot.

Yep, get close and try several angles. Some ideas:

Get next to a column and look up (the steps as mentioned).

Get on top of a column and look down (j/k!) I would see about getting above and zooming in to isolate details. From up on one of the sides.

Possible some construction equipment, looking up a boom or something with the bridge under construction in the background (try different DOF here to see what looks best).

Not sure if this helps, as this is kind of a different bridge, but some shots I took (that I want/need to redo next time I'm there). Timothy Bury Photography | Aerial Lift Bridge maybe they will give you an idea or two.

Building site photography is quite a thing of its own and just way too easily the results are kind of boring and only and exclusively interesting to the builders/contractors.

So working with close-ups, abstracts, light and SHADOWS, leading lines, funny patterns of the tracks made by the earthmoving machines ... all that might give photos of building sites some more "pep".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back