C&C and advice both are appreciated! Thanks!

I never ignored you. I'm not a he. AND what he replied to that specific post, made absolutely no sense. Hence the question mark.

My reccomendation is to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Thats a good book to read to learn the exposure triangle. Understanding exposure is probably the FIRST thing any new photographer should learn besides learning how to turn on the camera lol! :) On top of that reading you should also read your manual. Then read it again, then again then again then again and one more time AGAIN! Learn the manual like the back of your hand! Experiment Experiment Experiment. Use TV and AV and M. I personally learned the triangle by using it in AV and TV and I could directly see how changing one of the pieces affected the other pieces.... You need to learn your camera like Gipson said a $7000 camera isn't going to get good pictures if the photographer doesn't understand how to take good pictures. I think this is the case with you. You do not understand the basics quite yet and that is why your getting oof photos (which I still get too lol!) white balances issues etc etc...

We really aren't bad people but when you see the same thing over and over and over and over again..... You tend to not be sooooooooo overly nice on the 1000th time. There really are some great people here to learn from but you have to take the critique with thick skin. Honestly I was someone like you I came on this thread thinking I had some really great photos. I got ripped up one side and down the other and was like wth lol! I will admit this I was one of the niave ones and was charging folks for medicore work (but I thought it was good work) I thickened the skin and have made some good friends here and have learned so much! I can show you what an old picture looks like compared to one that I had just taken a few days ago. Yes I stil lscrew up with that damn 1.8 aperture (right gipson! lol exp: my sons tubby picture). Take what ya can from this site there really are some great people here!

This was the kind of answer I was wanting, not to be belittled or degraded on a public forum. Thank you for letting me know I need to change my aperature. I will definately do that next time. And when I said I had good images from my Nikon D60 I was meaning I didn't know any of this stuff you are telling me, and I did just fine on my own with them. So I'm unsure how that will help me now. I will look into that thou, just because I really don't have many avenues to try. Thank you for being oh so kind.

Changing your aperture means you'll need to change your shutter speed and ISO. That's why you need to understand exposure and all the settings on your camera. No one is belittling you, just trying to help. If you don't understand the basics you'll end up getting frustrated when your pictures don't turn out. If you are happy with soft, out of focus, incorrectly exposed photos then have at it. But I think you want better which is why you posted here.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll check into that.

Just started getting the soft, out of focus, incorrectly exposed photos, when I switched to my D7000 and my 50mm. Which is why I posted here, wanting some advice on what I was doing wrong, with those particular photos. Which I think I have learned is because the aperature is wrong. I will work on this. Thanks

What lens are you using....You say its a 50mm and you were shooting at f1.8 but you say you paid 500.00 for it....curious because the newest 50mm f1.8G lens is only 219.00

Are you using the 50mm f1.4 and have it stopped down to f1.8?

Just started getting the soft, out of focus, incorrectly exposed photos, when I switched to my D7000 and my 50mm. Which is why I posted here, wanting some advice on what I was doing wrong, with those particular photos. Which I think I have learned is because the aperature is wrong. I will work on this. Thanks

Ok, so you'll decrease the aperture (higher f/number) which will let in less light. Now your photos will be underexposed. So your shutter speed will be slower, and your ISO raised. Now you have blurry and/or grainy photos. That's why I'm (and others are) saying you need to understand the exposure triangle. It's not as simple as changing your aperture. Good luck to you either way...

Obviously he just wants a quick fix answer and doesn't seem to really care what we say.... I was nice and went into depth and got a 3 word answer back o well. NickA you can't help um' all is all I gotta say :)

No it's the 1.8, bought it brand new about 2 years ago. Paid 499.99 for it. Rockbrook camera if you want to go back and check.

Rebecca, sorry if I seemed rude, wasn't trying to be. Just trying to take all this in.

I just went back and re read what I wrote to you, and it wasn't rude at all. In fact wasn't a 3 word answer?! I was thanking you for the book recommendation.

KenkelsImages said:
I actually had a wonderful mentor. I look back at the stuff I did before and just laugh at myself. But I've noticed in the world of photography. There's so much information, he never could have told me everything. A lot of stuff you have to learn on your own. And a lot of stuff I have. I just feel blessed that I had someone who was KIND enough to take time out of his day to help me.
From the looks of it I never should have even signed up for this forum, as it seems people are just too darned rude. I dunno.

Take a deep breathe lol, this is a very helpful forum. What they are trying to for the most part is showing the tough love that's all. I'm about to take off of my training wheels as a noob both on the forum and as a"photographer". I expect no mercy from them. Try this which can only help you, Google camerasim its a dslr simulator that I use before I take particular photo. You have good body (camera :) and a nice lens. We want to help you make most of your investment.

cgipson1 said:
But if you DONT know the basics.. even having a TOP of the line $6000 PRO camera wont keep you from turning out crap! :)

Lol if you are offering a $6k camera, my hand is raised high in the sky. now back to the debate.

Well, I would love to agree with you in that aspect. But actually had one person apologize to me for being rude. Soooo with that being said. Thank you for the simulator, I will certainly try that. And good luck with taking off your training wheels. This is a very rewarding industry. Both in the good feeling you get, and the way people look at or see your work! :)

Most reactions

Back