What's new

C&C Appreciated - Horse Photo

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Location
Chattanooga, TN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Snapped this one while at the barn this morning with little time to prepare. Feedback is appreciated...is the post processing a little overboard?

4301131056_fe02c22e28_b.jpg
 
Post processing does not look too bad at all to my eyes and it looks like you got a good solid capture - sharp details on the tail and mane - though a little faster on the shutter would have helped since the head has motion blur on it (and the eye is all important to get sharp in animal work).
Compositionally it would have been better if you had some empty space on the left of the shot so that there was somewhere for the horse to move into; at the present he is moving out from the right and leaving empty space there whilst also running right into the boarder of the frame.
 
I really love how you captured the movement in this photo. Maybe a slightly faster shutter speed would have made the horse look a little clearer, however, i think the water splash looks amazing :) well done.
 
Thanks, from my perspective I regretted the slow shutter speed. The horses had not been moving much so I think had it at 1/200. When he he hit the creek, he took off in a full speed run. Looking at it again, I agree with more space in front. I think I was trying to get the creek and water, versus the leading space, could have been balanced better.
 
What mode were you shooting in for this shot? Myself I would be temped to have just shot in aperture priority mode and have let the camera select the shutter speed. In good lighting that gives the best speed possible with your selected aperture - with you having the option of raising the ISO if you need more speed.
 
I shot it with a 50mm with shutter priority at 1/200. For the moments they were still or walking slowly, the shots turned out well.

Here was another one. Ive been trying to enahnce my B&W skills recently, but I dont have much of an eye for it. I still struggle on what is considered "really good" when it comes to postprocessing and the various options available with BW.

4300383297_345660ab0a_b.jpg
 
Are you using a calibrated monitor? I ask because most people these days are on an LCD (flatscreen) and they tend to run very bright - although my current screen is not the best the blacks on that horse are looking very dark - a little lighter might help a lot.
As for modes - shutter priority is a good mode, but I would personally use it for faster speeds (if possible) when shooting animals. One never knows when they will move or note - 1/400 or 1/500 would be good rough speeds to be set to. However give aperture priority mode a try as well.

I'm also not sure about the framing on the second shot - I feel that either you want the trees cropped away more or the body of the horse - something to move the head away from being in the middle area
 
I shot it with a 50mm with shutter priority at 1/200. For the moments they were still or walking slowly, the shots turned out well.

Here was another one. Ive been trying to enahnce my B&W skills recently, but I dont have much of an eye for it. I still struggle on what is considered "really good" when it comes to postprocessing and the various options available with BW.

4300383297_345660ab0a_b.jpg

I really like this shot. how you can do that man?
 
Any more feedback on the B&W version? Does anyone else feel the blacks are to strong?
 
hi there- I think the PP on the first shot is not overdone. In fact- I like it even a little more pumped up!

4301131056_fe02c22e28_b.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom