C&C - Deers, and Birds, and Cliffs, O my

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nothing overly interesting, but I havn't posted in a few days and love knowinng everything I am doing wrong ;)

I actually wonder, when people are shooting animals in the wild do you use the rule of 3rds? For the deer shot I would say no, only because this happens to be a buck and the rack has symmetry.

1. Kind of boring. No background. I think I did manage to have a decent apeture setting for ones though. The blur starts just a few feet behind the deer. This one was on the fly big time, i was driving down a dirt road and as soon as I stopped the car the jig was pretty much up. Only managed 5 shots and he took off. I almost couldn't have been any more center with the antlers on this one, I guess the deer gets the credit there though :D. Bonus: I've never actually seen a deer in the velvet, Vermonts deer population is horrible :(

2. Well there's a lot of junk in the picture, but this was the only shot I managed of this little sucker. I chased him up a river just to watch him fly off 4 different times. This was eventually taken from the car window so I couldn't do much about the foreground. I think it does show his colors pretty well though.

3. Nothing interesting again. Was working on composition and color balance. This actually came out better than I figured it would after messing with the RAW a bit (I think so anyway).

1 - I don't mind the center composition. It seems to fit, although I would have had more to the left because he was turned that way. What bothers my is you cropped his feet.

2 - Unless this is the first time you've captured a GBH, I would have deleted this. FWIW, I don't have many "good" photos of a GBH....LOL!

3 - I agree, not much to see here. Lighting is good, just not very interesting to me.

I actually had to crop out the feet for the deer, from where i was shooting there was a tall grass line in front of him which was annoying. And yeah, it's my first GBH, but the place I got the shot it completely loaded with them. We night fish there and after dark saw 5 go through our spot. 2 of them seemed to be fighting over who gets to sit near us. Too bad it was dark :(

I think the first two in particular could benefit from a better composition...

For example...

6083483693_06baf64471_b.jpg

Just my thoughts...

BuS, I swear I did that but then ended up abandoning because it made the image smaller than I wanted it to be. I use all of my images as desktop backgrounds and pretty much nothing else, so I try to stick with a width of 1980 or so. I remember reading about composition and direction, like you want a racecar to be on the left side of the frame if it is moving right.

In my defence, the deer ran straight backwards when he finally spooked :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back