What's new

C&C- Early Morning Waterfall Landscapes

nmasters

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
209
Reaction score
14
Location
Georgia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey gang,
Just a couple days ago, I was in ankle deep water at 7 AM photographing this beautiful waterfall.
The waterfall is located in Roswell, Ga, about an hours drive north of Atlanta.
Shot with a Nikon D5100, and 18-55mm kit lens.


#1 ISO100, 18mm, 2 sec, f18

Water4 by nico418, on Flickr

#2 100, 18mm, 2 sec, f11

Water2 by nico418, on Flickr

#3 360, 18mm, 1/125 sec, f3.5

Water33 by nico418, on Flickr

#4 "the money shot" 100, 22mm, 0.6 sec, f11

Water by nico418, on Flickr
 
I like two the best, though I think it was tilted every so slightly to the right, probably a little bit cold and had a tiny bit of a green tint (or perhaps I just like landscapes warmer), and perhaps could use a little bit more contrast. Here's what I came up with as far as an edit goes, Take it or leave it, YMMV :)


showingediting by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Basically just added some warmth to it, some contrast via curves, dodged the areas where the sun was hitting the leaves directly a bit, and burned the areas that it wasn't a bit to help give a little bit more directionality to the sunlight. The blown sky bothers me a little bit, but there's not much you can do with it without blending exposures, most likely.
 
Nice scenic shots you got there. That could be a really spectacular place to return to several times for different seasonal shots.
 
Sky didn't help but I like #2 a lot.
 
fjrabon said:
I like two the best, though I think it was tilted every so slightly to the right, probably a little bit cold and had a tiny bit of a green tint (or perhaps I just like landscapes warmer), and perhaps could use a little bit more contrast. Here's what I came up with as far as an edit goes, Take it or leave it, YMMV :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinrabon/7557082796/
showingediting by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Basically just added some warmth to it, some contrast via curves, dodged the areas where the sun was hitting the leaves directly a bit, and burned the areas that it wasn't a bit to help give a little bit more directionality to the sunlight. The blown sky bothers me a little bit, but there's not much you can do with it without blending exposures, most likely.

Thanks for the edit! I really like it, what software did you use? I used Lightroom 4.
What else could I have done to prevent a blown out sky?
 
fjrabon said:
I like two the best, though I think it was tilted every so slightly to the right, probably a little bit cold and had a tiny bit of a green tint (or perhaps I just like landscapes warmer), and perhaps could use a little bit more contrast. Here's what I came up with as far as an edit goes, Take it or leave it, YMMV :)


showingediting by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Basically just added some warmth to it, some contrast via curves, dodged the areas where the sun was hitting the leaves directly a bit, and burned the areas that it wasn't a bit to help give a little bit more directionality to the sunlight. The blown sky bothers me a little bit, but there's not much you can do with it without blending exposures, most likely.

Thanks for the edit! I really like it, what software did you use? I used Lightroom 4.
What else could I have done to prevent a blown out sky?

I use Aperture (I use photoshop for some things, but this was all aperture).

You really probably couldn't have done anything about the sky without taking multiple exposures and doing HDR or exposure blending. To get the sky exposed properly, the rest would be so massively underexposed that it would be really noisy if you brought it up in post.
 
or used a gradient nd filter. ;-)

Problem with that is the trees would be too dark. gradient ND filters only really work when you have a fairly even sky, not a v cut opening.
 
"reovery" may have helped a little. Or just simply patch in a good sky, would take a little work and obviously would taint the photo being yours but for such a small area it would be worth a shot.

I do like the photo's none the less though, nice area ya found there.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom