Mid-day shots 5 for C&C

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haven't had much time to get outside when its good light. Tried to make the best of it!
C&C always welcome. 4&5 I was trying to catch the pollution of Phoenix as an element of the shot. no tripod today.... was on the fly!

F/13
1/60
10mm
iso100
IMG_3169 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

2. I would like to try light painting with a shot like this.
F/8
1/250
10mm
iso 100
IMG_3175 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

3. Still trying to get B&W better. I think this kinda works with harsh light.
F/22
1/45
22mm
iso100
IMG_3166 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

4. I know i missed focus on him .. Now that i have seen it more i would have cloned those 2 lights out.
Cardninals stadium is sitting out there. Very big building 9 miles away.
F/4
1/2000
90mm
iso100
IMG_3151 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

5. This one doesnt really do much for me. Wondering what i could have done different.
F/16
1/90
80mm
iso100
IMG_3146 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the composition and colors in #4. I say keep the lights, it makes it seem that he's riding toward them. #5 is a pretty composition too, maybe try that one at sunset or sunrise depending on which will have the least shadows. That cactus on the far left appears to be flipping the bird.

seems you are concentrating on shooting at iso 100 but i am wondering if you are sacrificing your shutter speed and aperture in the right manner to do it. just something to watch out for. nice work. i think i actually like the one that you dont the best. since you are bouncing on the hundred iso mark i would put my aperture where i want it and not be afraid to crank up the shutter speed some of these are a little slow anyway. The guy you missed focus on looks like you went the total opposite way. you are shooting at 2k ss at only f4.

I think no.4 is a nice shot. No.5 is nice too. I love that part of the country. Been camping in Arizona several times. Really want to go back.

Bribius,
Yeah i have a tendency to lock onto iso 100. My Rebel XS is pretty low quality and i try and squeeze all i can out of it before i upgrade. iso 400 starts noticeable grain. 800 is real bad and my top 1600 is inta-junk. I could play at 200 but its a default for 100. Been looking into 7D's for a jump in iso quality. 5Dmkii would be an option but i don't have enough EF lenses yet to justify it. On #4 I left it on aperture priority and backed off the 2.8 and pulled the trigger a few times. I only had a couple seconds to switch lenses and shoot. I saw him late and got about 10 shots in. this being (i believe) my better.
Im actually happy with hand holding these slower speeds. I dont have a real steady hand so I like my tripod haha.
SquarePeg,
I totally see that cactus lol.
That mountain in #5 is due east. I could get some good light there. Probably a better location for a sunset or rise as well. It was a "pull over and shoot" type of day. no planning into it.
crzy,
I lived here for 13 years doing a little photography before moving to florida for 14. Just moved back a couple years ago and never appreciated the landscape out here before. As soon as i got back i started thinking that wow, i really need a wide angle lens now. there is no place in the world like Az. Im trying to learn a new avenue of photography now.
Thank all for the responses.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back