C&C for my walk today?

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like to take walks around campus to pass the time, and I thought I'd share a few of the photos from today. They may not be anything absolutely fantastic since I was just going on a walk in the areas I see every single day, but I appreciate any C&C on things like composition, cropping, and exposure. Thanks in advance! :D

IMG_2017 by Quentin Biles, on Flickr

Magnolia Blossom by Quentin Biles, on Flickr

Wasp by Quentin Biles, on Flickr

The full set can be found here if you'd like to really destroy my self confidence!

Since you already think that these are not "absolutely fantastic" shots, why don't you tell us what you don't like about them?

Since you already think that these are not "absolutely fantastic" shots, why don't you tell us what you don't like about them?

I guess I feel like they're lacking emotion, but that may be because they're just of regular things that I pass every day on my way to class. Honestly, I don't think that I'm good at judging my own photos because I know the whole scenario behind each shot, and, therefore, there's nothing up to my mind to create. In my opinion, a photo should make you wish you were there to see whatever is in the shot, and that's a complicated approach when you're intimately familiar with each and every photograph.

I really like 1 and 3. In the first one, the flower turns pink right when it begins to be out of focus which is cool and the composition and lighting in number 3 is fantastic. Nice shooting!

I really like number 2. It's clear, and I like the new take on a flower shot. It's falling apart, but not in an ugly brown way, haha.

Number 3 is cool too, but I think it could maybe use a crop.

I guess I feel like they're lacking emotion... Honestly, I don't think that I'm good at judging my own photos because I know the whole scenario behind each shot.

Sometimes I like to wait a couple of days before I start working on photos I've taken. This can help approaching them with fresh eyes. Then after you sort through them and do some editing wait a few more days or a week and then come back again the break will help give you fresh eyes.

There have been times when I have struggled getting things just right on a photo that you just have to make yourself stop and comeback to it later with a fresh perspective.

Try making that one of the hornet on the tree black and white. Black and white can be great for adding emotion.

I like them all...each one is different, having a different subject and you may see these things every day, but we don't. The only thing I would do would be to crop the third one a little closer to the centre and remove most of the right side of the image..after all the wasp is the main feature and, in my humble opinion, there is too much tree in the image...took me a couple of seconds to actually spot the wasp...the different texture in the tree on the right side drew my eye to it first before I saw the wasp, other than that observation, keep up the good work...

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I guess I feel like they're lacking emotion... Honestly, I don't think that I'm good at judging my own photos because I know the whole scenario behind each shot.

Sometimes I like to wait a couple of days before I start working on photos I've taken. This can help approaching them with fresh eyes. Then after you sort through them and do some editing wait a few more days or a week and then come back again the break will help give you fresh eyes.

There have been times when I have struggled getting things just right on a photo that you just have to make yourself stop and comeback to it later with a fresh perspective.

Try making that one of the hornet on the tree black and white. Black and white can be great for adding emotion.

Thank you for this! That seems like a really helpful process, and I will have to try that in the future.

Also, thank you to everyone else for the comments!

Edit: You guys were right about the Wasp photo! I really do like this better.

Wasp Redux by Quentin Biles, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yup the b&w really makes the texture of that wood pop. I also think it makes the wasp a bit more noticeable.

the only thing i can say to change is to crop out whatever it is in the top right corner. Other than that great stuff, it all looks so sharp and defined.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back