C&C - Lighting Help (85mm)

ACrossley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alishacrossleyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Indoors my 85mm (1.8) seems to shoot with a yellow tint ... very warm. I would like to know if I am 1.) crazy or if this is actually happening with this lens 2.) can set my shot to prepare for this ahead of time 3.) better ways to deal with this in post. I have tried cooling this down but am honestly not advanced enough to manage the picture without distorting skin tone to a great extent.

Not sure if my link will work as this is the first time I've posted a pictures. I know there are instructions somewhere but cannot find them to save me!! So, basically, if you are reading this, I could use some help!!!

THANKS a ton-
Alisha

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Basic_Photography/photos/recent/607677619/view

Not sure if my link will work as this is the first time I've posted a pictures. I know there are instructions somewhere but cannot find them to save me!! So, basically, if you are reading this, I could use some help!!!

THANKS a ton-
Alisha

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Basic_Photography/photos/recent/607677619/view

I realize the link should actually display a photo ... instructions much appreciated. AND the photo that appears is not the one I'm seeking C&C ...it is one to the right of a four month old baby propped on his hands. These photos are part of a class from many students ....

There is a Sticky (probably in the Beginners forum) about embedding images in your post.

The warmth sounds like a White Balance (WB) issue. What do you have yours set to? Is it on all shots or mostly indoors with typical house lighting?

5500K is considered daylight. If the camera is set to Cloudy, it's likely around 6800K. If it's on Auto, you'll need to counteract that with a cooler temp. Check your manual on setting your WB.

I have the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and it renders colors very nicely.

Not sure what camera body you are using but I would suggest you learn how to manually set your white balance by shooting a gray card or other white balance card.

Oh friends, thank you so much!!!
I had a photo class this evening and it hit me when we were in critique .... WHITE BALANCE! I am having to relearn some technical items that have slipped away since my days as an art student. The class I am taking is just a brush up on the basics.

I shoot Canon and will need to look into my manual to learn how to set the white balance. I have been doing this in post, but I want to be more of "pre-photographer." I love the 85mm ... great DOF. The color issue is indoors. I am certain it is due to my white balance.

Not sure what camera body you are using but I would suggest you learn how to manually set your white balance by shooting a gray card or other white balance card.

Thanks for the tip ... I remember this from my days working in a studio as an office assistant. Unfortunately photography was more of an art I admired than participated in at the time. I could have learned so much!

Are there particular white balance cards I should look at for purchasing? Does this have to be done for each shot? I have the Canon 40D for reference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back