C&C - Munch

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting to wonder if including "C&C" in my title is deterring people from my posts :meh:. At any rate, I decided to start practicing my wildlife photography on the local critters like squirrels, doves and the occasional skunk (have yet to capture one of those, I think it would be neat). Feedback is appreciated!

Munch by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

There's not much to comment on. It's a pic of a fat squirrel. If your shots tend to be like this, that may be why the comments are sparse. There just isn't much to say and people tend to shy away from posting remarks with no substance or remarks that are rude.

I only commented myself this time because I seem to recall seeing you complain about not getting feedback in the past in another thread.

Tone down the greens and yellows in the background considerably. Give the squirrel more "look - out" room and more foreground and you have the beginnings of a stronger compositional image. Fat squirrels have their place in the world but this one isn't doing much of anything but being skittish; show me one that's not. Find one sitting up and eating an acorn, playing with another squirrel or trying to find a way over the feeder obstacles to increase its audience "likeability."

I like to view nature photos in nature and the footing under this guy kind'a ruins it for me. Set a peanut on a stump or log. If your parks are like ours, it will take about 30 seconds to get a nature shot of a squirrel. BTW, Squirrels are cool, fun, like buggers.

There's not much to comment on. It's a pic of a fat squirrel. If your shots tend to be like this, that may be why the comments are sparse. There just isn't much to say and people tend to shy away from posting remarks with no substance or remarks that are rude.

What he said.
There is no hint of what you thought what interesting about this squirrel. The shot could have been taken by an autofocus surveillance camera.
Since, in most cases, the camera is doing 90% of the work, your 10% has got to show.

manaheim said:

I only commented myself this time because I seem to recall seeing you complain about not getting feedback in the past in another thread.

This has been one of the reasons I have never been terribly attracted to wildlife photography- I see nothing to show besides the animal itself.

Rick58 said:
I like to view nature photos in nature and the footing under this guy kind'a ruins it for me. Set a peanut on a stump or log. If your parks are like ours, it will take about 30 seconds to get a nature shot of a squirrel. BTW, Squirrels are cool, fun, like buggers.

Good advice, I'll try this out next time. Thanks!

manaheim said:

This has been one of the reasons I have never been terribly attracted to wildlife photography- I see nothing to show besides the animal itself.
I think it helps to go beyond the technical stuff...ideally a story, something to show the animal's personality, or even just cute/funny stuff. But anything other than things like exposure and focusing, unless of course that's what you need feedback on.

E.g., check out 500px Animals section. There's a squirrel image on the front page right now, with a funny looking (to me anyway) squirrel.

Trevor... it is HOW you show the animal that counts.... ;) Concrete sidewalk might work if he had his head stuffed in a Cracker Jack box or something... but not usually....

Thank you both for the links. I had never really looked at too many wildlife photos before, so now I have a visualization of how to tell a story with the subject being an animal. I will definitely aim for that with my next shots.

cgipson1 said:
Trevor... it is HOW you show the animal that counts.... ;) Concrete sidewalk might work if he had his head stuffed in a Cracker Jack box or something... but not usually....

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to stage something and leave some nuts out or something, then just wait for the right shot.

Well.... You went from no comments ever, to more comments than I can possibly imagine for a snapshot of a garden variety Gray Squirrel.

:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back