C&C My Site, please

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Casual Approach Photography - Home

keep in mind - i'm really am trying to approach these families in a casual manner. I want something simple; clean and i want/need my site to reflect that style

appreciate your comments

to be brutally honest. I think it's ugly.

"Like it or not, nowadays people will judge the quality of your products and your company by the quality of your website." Jakob Nielsen, Usability and website design guru

A
nyways I think it's the bright colors don't work especially since non of your colors on the site are a color scheme. The ugly brown for navigation is unappealing to the eye. Some of the pages are really hard to read because you used an image instead of a text field? (not sure why) The footer at the bottom is ugly and not needed. It's way too big for what is needed..I just think you have a lot to work on. Sorry just my opinion

I agree with 412, it seems very cookie cutter, almost like the old geocities or tripod websites from the 90s. Choosing a more appropriate color scheme would help (there is no reason to use neon green), but consistency with a more appealing font would be helpful too.

A site can be simple and effective, but it also needs to be cohesive and appealing at a base level.

I am sorry, but I have to agree. It looks like a cheap, plug in template. There are great plug in templates out there cheap or free, but that's not one of them.
The catch line? That too is REALLY bad. the "newbies..." not professional in the slightest. It's just... for lack of a better term: cheap and cheesy.

You have the needed elements, but they need to be arranged differently for the best possible SEO and flow. Your about page should be the second after the home.

The galleries-I am REALLY not trying to be mean here, but those are far from even remotely professional images-or even good snaps from an avid amateur. Stick around and we'll help you to get there and pretty darned quick, but... That's... well consistent with the poor website. You have a LOT of potential, but at the price point you are trying to enter? yeah. No.

Agreed!

Entry level looking sites meaning (Basic HTML, Java, etc) can be real nice if the color scheme is decent.

Your copy needs to be edited differently. At least you didn't use comic sans. Since you've disabled cut/paste I'll just put down a couple of examples.

In "What to expect", under the photo shoot what exactly did you mean by suggesting your clients "...- ALWAYS feel free to churn in your opinon"? Is that an error?

Also your excessive use of ... to end a sentence is both distracting and off putting. Once, perhaps. Twice? FOUR times in one paragraph...

The Pricing Page is worse. White writing on Black is distracting. Inconsistent use of white border simply looks half-assed.

Under specials you simply have the word 'Consider'. As in...consider somone else?

Under the 'little bit about me', your inconsistent use of a period is distracting. You are going to either use them or not. Don't switch between formats in the same page. And you suggest that the client 'forget I'm there, and interact'. Well which one do you want? Interaction or forget about you?

Needs work. Hope you get things going. Your pictures are nice, but the presentation format of your website leaves much to be desired.

Your copy needs to be edited differently. At least you didn't use comic sans. Since you've disabled cut/paste I'll just put down a couple of examples.

In "What to expect", under the photo shoot what exactly did you mean by suggesting your clients "...- ALWAYS feel free to churn in your opinon"? Is that an error?

Also your excessive use of ... to end a sentence is both distracting and off putting. Once, perhaps. Twice? FOUR times in one paragraph...

The Pricing Page is worse. White writing on Black is distracting. Inconsistent use of white border simply looks half-assed.

Under specials you simply have the word 'Consider'. As in...consider somone else?

Under the 'little bit about me', your inconsistent use of a period is distracting. You are going to either use them or not. Don't switch between formats in the same page. And you suggest that the client 'forget I'm there, and interact'. Well which one do you want? Interaction or forget about you?

Needs work. Hope you get things going. Your pictures are nice, but the presentation format of your website leaves much to be desired.

^^What they said. Especially the part about "churn in your own opinion." Sounds like "stewing in your own juices." I have NO idea what you are trying to convey with that statement, but I'm almost certain it isn't what I get from it.

To add to the editorial aspects of the web design: Is there a reason you've picked a different font for every single section? That just contributes to the unprofessional look of the site. Pick a scheme, pick two or three fonts and use them throughout the entire site. Google something like "fonts for good web design" and get some advice on how to use fonts to your advantage.
The font you've used in the "what to expect" section, in particular, I find almost unreadable. It's too small, too light and against that brighter background (brown? tan? dark peach? odd color...) I am just not willing to work that hard at reading it. Potential clients won't bother either.

You've got some typos as well.
In short, the whole thing is a Hodge Podge of design, color, fonts, photos. There's not "theme," no consistency and absolutely nothing to draw the visitor in and keep them there.

Wow, that sounds harsh. I've been on TPF too long. :lol:
Well, it's also true. Good web design is just as important as good photography, and just as hard to do, if you have no idea what you're doing.

Am I alone in thinking that I would never hire anyone whose approach to photography is 'casual'? It gives me the impression of laziness or couldn't care less attitude. So for me the name of the website makes me close it immediately.

figured i would get these responses. appreciate your honesty

SOOO...If my images were on a different site set-up, would they be more noticeable??

Am I alone in thinking that I would never hire anyone whose approach to photography is 'casual'? It gives me the impression of laziness or couldn't care less attitude. So for me the name of the website makes me close it immediately.

does it really give that impression? The Casual Approach.

Forget about your website, you need to work on your photography.

I am thinking the layout may be manageable if you adjust the colors of everything to something more elegant/professional.

I would also make a nicer logo for your header that looks more professional. I made mine in Photoshop and it really helped the appearance of my website.

Also, you have a page for contact information, so remove the same information from your header. The redundancy is only adding clutter.

I am sorry, but I have to agree. It looks like a cheap, plug in template. There are great plug in templates out there cheap or free, but that's not one of them.
The catch line? That too is REALLY bad. the "newbies..." not professional in the slightest. It's just... for lack of a better term: cheap and cheesy.

You have the needed elements, but they need to be arranged differently for the best possible SEO and flow. Your about page should be the second after the home.

The galleries-I am REALLY not trying to be mean here, but those are far from even remotely professional images-or even good snaps from an avid amateur. Stick around and we'll help you to get there and pretty darned quick, but... That's... well consistent with the poor website. You have a LOT of potential, but at the price point you are trying to enter? yeah. No.

I've been on TPF too long to get my feelings hurt. I put it up for critique for HONEST responses. I thank you - i truly do. I think i'm gonna shut down the site and concentrate on facebook and continue practicing. Do you agree with the name being a turn off

Forget about your website, you need to work on your photography.

It's harsh, but I have to agree. I didn't see anything that looked like more than a snapshot with heavy vignettes or weird filters applied to them.

Most reactions

Back