C&C of my post processing

mbbye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I've been playing around with Photoshop a bit lately and was hoping I could get some comments/critiques on this photo from my fraternity formal. I know the removal of the background items isn't perfect, but for not knowing exactly the best way to tackle this (I used the clone stamp), I'm pretty happy with the results. Also, I thought the added filter/color tweaks gave the photo more of a kind of classy look. What do you all think? Thanks!

*Lastly, just to clarify, this picture was taken by a friend of mine (i'm the guy in the picture). My friend isn't a photographer so hence that is why there is the tilted horizon and it's a bit soft. I thought it was a funny enough picture that it was still a keeper though. With that said, I'm more interested in pp comments then critiques on the photographic skill.

original:
IMG_9525.jpg

edit:
Formal.jpg

2nd Attempt:
Formal2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have a very nice informal portrait. Yes the removal of the background items looks a little rough but could be easily fixed. I think the color is off in both versions. The first is too cool and the second too warm. I am a realist so if it doesn't look believable to me it does't work for me, that's just me. I cant make up my mind about the tilted horizon. It's tilted= unreal, on the other hand it adds to the lighthearted, whimsical nature of the shot. On that note adding the bicycle back in might add a little bit of amusement. -JSD

It looks a bit soft and blurry, and I would say your second edit is much too warm.

First thing I noticed was that the 2 photos are kind of soft, maybe a little more than what one can reasonably fix..

For not knowing how, you did really good on removing the background stuff...not to say its perfect, but you didnt do bad.
The warm tint you added would look just on the background, and not add so much warmth to the people. Just enough to make it natural, and maayyybbee a little more than that.

You also lost detail in the jacket with the added contrast, but it really wasnt in the first photo that much anyway..

It appears you did some skin smoothing on the girl, which is always a good idea! It also looks like you did it a bit on the guy...which isnt always such a great idea.

Thanks for the comments. I will definitely keep playing around with the color some more, as well as trying to smooth out the background. There actually wasn't any skin smoothing done on either person, but I agree it does sort of look like that (not sure what could have caused it). Lastly, just to clarify, this picture was taken by a friend of mine (i'm the guy in the picture). My friend isn't a photographer so hence that is why there is the tilted horizon and it's a bit soft. I thought it was a funny enough picture that it was still a keeper though.

If anyone else has any suggestions for the post processing, that'd be great.

I agree with all said. The color cast/color temp is really a matter of taste if you are going for an artsy look. Personally I don't like either ( the cool or the warm ) especially in this type of picture. I would color correct the image. As for the background, not bad, but I didn't zoom in on it and my bright lap top makes it look blown out anyway. What software are you using?

I agree with all said. The color cast/color temp is really a matter of taste if you are going for an artsy look. Personally I don't like either ( the cool or the warm ) especially in this type of picture. I would color correct the image. As for the background, not bad, but I didn't zoom in on it and my bright lap top makes it look blown out anyway. What software are you using?

Alright, I posted a 2nd attempt with the color cooled a bit and I tried sharpening the image a bit as well. I'm sure if you zoomed in, you would find quite a bit of mess in the background, but I'm not really sure how this can be addressed...

I'm using Photoshop CS3

The second attempt is definitely oversharpened, you went too far in applying the Unsharp Mask.
The warm colour temps are a matter of taste entirely. Out of the two edits, I then definitely prefer the first, very warm version, to her green hair in the second edit.

The second attempt is definitely oversharpened, you went too far in applying the Unsharp Mask.
The warm colour temps are a matter of taste entirely. Out of the two edits, I then definitely prefer the first, very warm version, to her green hair in the second edit.

She's actually a swimmer, so that green is from the chlorine in the pool, haha.. but no, i don't know how I let that slip by, her hair is really green.

I deleted the green one now and put up a new version

The clone stamp residue to the right of her hair (where the person walk walking) is pretty noticeable to me.

The first edit is a bit too warm but minor, easy fix with sliders.

I would like it more with a more helpless 'oh crap' look on your face but I'm a cynic and probably a terminal bachelor..

Most reactions

Back