C & C on recent shoot

Mfink22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for C & C on two of the shots from a recent shoot. This was the first time I have used continuous lighting on location. I used 2 Spiderlite TD 5's w/ med softbox @ camera R and L, and 2 Spiderlite TD 3's 1 w/ beauty dish as hair and 1 bare as rim.

Attachments

• $image-117548109.jpg
    $image-117548109.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 140
  • $image-4241016808.jpg
    $image-4241016808.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 135
C&C per req:

Alyssa: Nice image, a few minor details: Her hair is a bit messy, and I would have preferred that she was holding the ball so that the "Spalding" was level. There's an odd shadow on her face that goes from her forehad to her upper lip; almost like you had a flag there...

Emily. As per above on the ball, better hair, again, an odd shadow on the face.

Overall, these are very strong shots, and you've done some nice work with continuous lighting (why continuous?). I wonder if a rimlight to provide some separation from the background might not have been an idea?

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

tirediron said:
C&C per req:

Alyssa: Nice image, a few minor details: Her hair is a bit messy, and I would have preferred that she was holding the ball so that the "Spalding" was level. There's an odd shadow on her face that goes from her forehad to her upper lip; almost like you had a flag there...

Emily. As per above on the ball, better hair, again, an odd shadow on the face.

Overall, these are very strong shots, and you've done some nice work with continuous lighting (why continuous?). I wonder if a rimlight to provide some separation from the background might not have been an idea?

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Appreciate the comments. All of these are things I could tighten up on future shoots.

I did have a couple flags up, but they were between the camera and the lights to eliminate lens flare. The shadows your seeing could be from the ambient gym lights. I did my best to eliminate them with my setup, but who knows.

I had some issue with the girls as well. The team had a pre-season beach party the day before. Many of them, like Emily, had quite a bit of sun on their face. Made post processing fun.

I haven't purchased lights yet,except for a Nikon Sb 900. A friend owns a set of Westcott Spiderlites, so I figured I could try them before making a decision on a portable lighting setup. I liked them, but I liked the Alien Bees better. Or maybe just add a couple more SpeedLights.... Still not sure, but having fun experimenting with the different styles/brands.

Thanks again for the comments....

Mike

The Alyssa shot is very good. The Emily shot doesnt have the same lighting. Almost a kind of Mystery Theatre lighting coming from below. Like she is standing in front of the footlights. But overall the work is so well done that lighting oversight can easily be overlooked.

yowza!

What are they feeding these kids now a days.

The facial shadows look more like your lights were too low. Light is coming from beneath, not above... that is what is throwing that weird shadowing above the cheeks.

The facial shadows look more like your lights were too low. Light is coming from beneath, not above... that is what is throwing that weird shadowing above the cheeks.

Yes. The lights were rather low, which casts shadows that have a somewhat negative "vibe" to them. The catchlights are indicative of the position of the lights...and are pretty low on the eyeballs. Luckily, the youth of the girls, and their active poses and mostly exuberant expressions overrode the lighting pattern's psychological impact--not totally, but for the most part. Placing the main light deliberately "low" in relation to the face has long been called "horror lighting", since it sort of simulates the low,low light placement that all mad scientists and crazed criminals have in their laboratories and lairs. lol.

I'll just add: I wish you had a rim light to just highlight the outline of the girls and separate them from the black.
The fact that you have moved the 2012 and they aren't the same ratio is going to give you major headaches in printing these. You need to be consistent on the size and on where your camera was placed while shooting.

Most reactions

Back